Middle East crisis live: Trump claims Iran attack ‘on hold’ due to request from Gulf allies | US-Israel war on Iran


Trump claims Iran attack ‘on hold’ due to request from Gulf countries

We are restarting our live coverage of the US-Israeli war on Iran and the other conflicts in the Middle East. Donald Trump says he has called off a planned attack on Iran on Tuesday at the request of Gulf states so peace talks could continue.

In a post on Truth Social on Monday, the US president said he had been asked to do so by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Trump said he had been told a deal would be made that is “very acceptable” to the US, adding there would be “no nuclear weapons for Iran”.

He said, however, that he had informed his military leaders “to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached”.

An Iranian man walk past a picture of supreme leader Mojtaba Khamenei in a street in Tehran.
An Iranian man walk past a picture of supreme leader Mojtaba Khamenei in a street in Tehran. Photograph: Abedin Taherkenareh/EPA

The announcement came as Iran’s foreign military spokesperson, Esmail Baghaei, claimed Pakistan has shared Tehran’s latest proposal with the US.

Trump has repeatedly threatened to launch new strikes on Iran, only to retreat at the last minute. The war on Iran is deeply unpopular with the American public and is hitting consumers hard with increased oil and fertiliser costs resulting from the reduced flow of vessels through the critical strait of Hormuz. ‘

Negotiations on Iran’s nuclear programme and the strait of Hormuz have reached a deadlock and the US’s blockade of Iranian ports is failing to force Tehran into making painful concessions even though Iran is suffering an escalating economic crisis.

Trump did not say what targets the US had planned to strike on Tuesday, but officials said the military could have targeted Iran’s ballistic missile sites, according to the New York Times.

Share



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Riders begin Grey Cup title defence versus Lions – Calgary

    They can’t change history, but Nathan Rourke and the B.C. Lions can exorcise a few demons Saturday night. B.C. opens its season in Regina against the Roughriders. That’s also where…

    IN PHOTOS | Canadian Men’s National Soccer Team training highlights

    Sports Members of Canada’s FIFA World Cup squad take part in a training session at the Toronto FC Training Ground on Wednesday — two days before their tournament opening match…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    A McDonald’s provides normalcy in Ukraine and actor Hayden Panettiere dies: Morning Rundown

    A McDonald’s provides normalcy in Ukraine and actor Hayden Panettiere dies: Morning Rundown

    Jared Kushner to meet with Israel’s Netanyahu after Hamas talks

    Jared Kushner to meet with Israel’s Netanyahu after Hamas talks

    Backgrounder: Canada imposes sanctions against Venezuelan officials involved in human rights violations

    Asante Reports Q2 & H1 2026 Operating & Financial Results

    Ben Woodfinden: All hail the judicial smackdown of bike lane rights

    Women’s Super League: Leicester’s Sam Tierney on not jumping ship

    Women’s Super League: Leicester’s Sam Tierney on not jumping ship