Alleged rapes on Married at First Sight UK must be investigated, says Department for Culture | Channel 4


Rape claims involving Channel 4’s Married at First Sight UK must be investigated, with consequences for criminality or wrongdoing, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) has said.

The BBC reported on Monday that two women said they had been raped during filming of the dating show, while a third described an allegation of a non-consensual sex act.

In the show, which is produced for Channel 4 by the independent production company CPL, single people matched by experts “marry” strangers, who they meet for the first time on their mock wedding day.

One woman reportedly told BBC Panorama that her onscreen husband had raped her and threatened her with an acid attack, while a second said she had been raped by her onscreen husband and had told Channel 4 and CPL before broadcast, but that her episodes were still aired.

A third woman had accused her onscreen husband of sexual misconduct, the BBC said.

In a statement to the BBC, the DCMS said: “All allegations must be referred to the appropriate authorities and investigated with the full cooperation of those involved, with action taken to ensure that the highest standards are upheld and there are consequences for criminality or wrongdoing.”

Channel 4 has removed all previous seasons of Married At First Sight UK (MAFS UK) from its streaming platforms, after what it said were “very serious allegations”. The broadcaster also announced that in April it had commissioned an external review into contributor welfare.

“In April, Channel 4 was presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied,” Channel 4 said in a statement on Monday.

“The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.

“Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols. Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.

“Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.”

None of the women the BBC spoke to had reported their allegations to the police, it was reported.

Lawyers for CPL told the BBC that its welfare system was “gold standard” and that it had acted appropriately.

Priya Dogra, the chief executive of Channel 4, told the BBC: “On the claims that Channel 4 may have failed in its duty of care, I believe that when concerns about contributor welfare were raised, and based on the information available at the time, Channel 4 acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre.”

Channel 4 said MAFS UK was produced under “some of the most comprehensive and robust welfare protocols in the industry”, including background checks, a code of conduct setting out behavioural standards and “daily contributor check-ins with a specialist welfare team”.

Alex Mahon, who was chief executive of Channel 4 from 2017 to 2025, is due to face questions from MPs on Tuesday, in a pre-scheduled meeting of the culture, media and sport cmmittee.

The chair of the committee, Caroline Dinenage, told the BBC that MAFS UK had felt almost like “an accident waiting to happen”.

“It’s a TV show that almost expects and anticipates people that have only just met each other will have to become really quite intimate with each other,” she said.

“They’re expected to share a bed and a life together within minutes of meeting – it almost feels like an accident waiting to happen.”



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Labour likely to win next election with Burnham as leader, say party members – UK politics live | Politics

    Labour members think party likely to win next election with Burnham as leader, but not Starmer, poll suggests Good morning. A week ago, at cabinet, Keir Starmer delivered a “put…

    Inside Prime Minister Mark Carney’s hunt for office art — and what he liked the most

    OTTAWA — Less than a week after winning last year’s election and just days before he was set to meet with U.S. President Donald Trump, Prime Minister Mark Carney was…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Cathie from Canada: Olé Olé Olé! Habs win it in overtime. Plus, more about the Alberta voter ID app scandal

    Cathie from Canada: Olé Olé Olé! Habs win it in overtime. Plus, more about the Alberta voter ID app scandal

    Citi Says 5.5% May Be Next Key Level for 30-Year Treasury Yield

    Labour likely to win next election with Burnham as leader, say party members – UK politics live | Politics

    Labour likely to win next election with Burnham as leader, say party members – UK politics live | Politics

    50% Off Home Depot Promo Codes | May 2026

    50% Off Home Depot Promo Codes | May 2026

    Enzo Maresca: Manchester City set to replace Pep Guardiola with ex-Chelsea boss

    Enzo Maresca: Manchester City set to replace Pep Guardiola with ex-Chelsea boss

    Trump loyalty tests and major battlegrounds: What to watch in Rep. Thomas Massie’s primary and other Tuesday elections

    Trump loyalty tests and major battlegrounds: What to watch in Rep. Thomas Massie’s primary and other Tuesday elections