Trump says he’s called off planned Iran strikes ahead of new ‘negotiations’ – National


U.S. President Donald Trump said he is holding off on a military strike on Iran planned for Tuesday because “serious negotiations” are underway.

Trump’s announcement in a social media post Monday came as he had threatened the clock was ticking for Iran to strike a deal or fighting would renew after a fragile ceasefire.

The president did not offer details about the planned attack but said but he instructed the U.S. military “to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.”

Story continues below advertisement

Trump had not previously disclosed that he was planning a strike for May 19, but over the weekend he warned, “For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them.”


Click to play video: 'U.S.-Iran ceasefire ‘on life support’ after ‘piece of garbage’ response from Tehran: Trump'


U.S.-Iran ceasefire ‘on life support’ after ‘piece of garbage’ response from Tehran: Trump



Trump has been threatening for weeks that the ceasefire struck in mid-April could end if Iran did not strike a deal, with shifting parameters for striking such an agreement.

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

Trump said in his social media post that he was calling off the planned strike at the request of allies in the Middle East, including the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off.

Trump in recent days has also spoken with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Chinese President Xi Jinping about the Iran war.

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press





Source link

  • Related Posts

    Can’t find cottage cheese? Protein-maxxing may be to blame

    “Cottage cheese prices in Canada have jumped roughly 60 per cent since 2020 — from about $3.20 to over $5 per tub today,” Sylvain Charlebois, visiting scholar at McGill University…

    U.S. slaps duties on fresh Canadian mushrooms over subsidy claims – National

    The United States has put countervailing duties on fresh mushrooms grown in Canada following a U.S. Department of Commerce investigation which the Canadian industry has called “deeply flawed.” The change,…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Can’t find cottage cheese? Protein-maxxing may be to blame

    Atmos Rewards Summit vs. Citi / AAdvantage Globe

    Atmos Rewards Summit vs. Citi / AAdvantage Globe

    Trump calls for DOJ investigation after mail ballot error in Maryland

    Trump calls for DOJ investigation after mail ballot error in Maryland

    CISA Admin Leaked AWS GovCloud Keys on Github – Krebs on Security

    CISA Admin Leaked AWS GovCloud Keys on Github – Krebs on Security

    X-Files: I Want to Believe’s never-seen cut streaming on Hulu in June

    X-Files: I Want to Believe’s never-seen cut streaming on Hulu in June

    Is the US trying to force regime change in Cuba? | Newsfeed

    Is the US trying to force regime change in Cuba? | Newsfeed