Trump calls for DOJ investigation after mail ballot error in Maryland


President Donald Trump on Monday said he will ask the Department of Justice to investigate a recent mail ballot error in Maryland, pushing unsubstantiated claims that it was the result of fraud.

Maryland election officials are reissuing around a half-million mail ballots after saying last Friday a vendor issue led to some voters receiving a primary ballot for the wrong party. Since election officials cannot determine who received the wrong ballot, the state is sending all potentially affected voters new ballots.

In a Truth Social post on Friday, Trump said: “In Maryland, they sent out 500,000 Illegal Mail In Ballots, and they got caught! So now, they’re going to send out 500,000 more Mail In Ballots, but nobody knows what’s happening with the first 500,000 they sent.”

But the State Board of Elections had previously said the initial ballots will be sequestered and voided, and only the replacement ballots will be cast and counted.

“There is no risk of duplicate voting as a result of this issue. Election officials have safeguards in place to ensure that only one ballot can be accepted per voter. Every return envelope/oath has a unique identifier to ensure that a voter can only vote one ballot. SBE has implemented additional safeguards to ensure only the correct ballot is counted for each voter,” the board said in a release on Monday.

The error was made by a printing company, state election officials said, who will be paying for the reissued ballots. Maryland’s primary is set to take place June 23.

The call for a DOJ investigation marks Trump’s latest attack on mail balloting, which have long been at the center of his false claims of election fraud. An executive order Trump signed earlier this year was geared toward restricting mail voting.

In his Truth Social post, Trump also singled out Democratic Gov. Wes Moore as “corrupt.”

Maryland State Administrator of Elections Jared DeMarinis, a spokesperson for Moore and the DOJ did not immediately respond to a request for comment.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Senate confirms Trump’s pick to lead federal land agency as drilling and mining expand

    ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — The U.S. Senate confirmed President Donald Trump’s pick to oversee the management of a quarter-billion acres of public lands on Monday, as the administration pushes ahead…

    Skipping the factory: Service-led growth in sub-Saharan Africa

    For much of the late 20th century, Africa was associated with economic stagnation. Easterly (2001) famously referred to this period as the ‘lost decades’. The past 20 years tell a…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Delayed Again: Delta To Keep 44-Seat First Class A321neos Until 2028 As Lie-Flat Seats Slip Further

    Delayed Again: Delta To Keep 44-Seat First Class A321neos Until 2028 As Lie-Flat Seats Slip Further

    Rihanna Just Wore This Specific Baseball Cap Trend in NYC

    Rihanna Just Wore This Specific Baseball Cap Trend in NYC

    Chinese Embassy in Canada denounces MP Chong’s visit to Taiwan

    Chinese Embassy in Canada denounces MP Chong’s visit to Taiwan

    Senate confirms Trump’s pick to lead federal land agency as drilling and mining expand

    Senate confirms Trump’s pick to lead federal land agency as drilling and mining expand

    New infill houses in Saskatoon historic neighbourhoods get mixed response

    New infill houses in Saskatoon historic neighbourhoods get mixed response

    Ebola outbreak: WHO declares emergency, US restricts travel, American infected

    Ebola outbreak: WHO declares emergency, US restricts travel, American infected