Trump says he’s called off planned Iran strikes ahead of new ‘negotiations’ – National


U.S. President Donald Trump said he is holding off on a military strike on Iran planned for Tuesday because “serious negotiations” are underway.

Trump’s announcement in a social media post Monday came as he had threatened the clock was ticking for Iran to strike a deal or fighting would renew after a fragile ceasefire.

The president did not offer details about the planned attack but said but he instructed the U.S. military “to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.”

Story continues below advertisement

Trump had not previously disclosed that he was planning a strike for May 19, but over the weekend he warned, “For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them.”


Click to play video: 'U.S.-Iran ceasefire ‘on life support’ after ‘piece of garbage’ response from Tehran: Trump'


U.S.-Iran ceasefire ‘on life support’ after ‘piece of garbage’ response from Tehran: Trump



Trump has been threatening for weeks that the ceasefire struck in mid-April could end if Iran did not strike a deal, with shifting parameters for striking such an agreement.

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

Trump said in his social media post that he was calling off the planned strike at the request of allies in the Middle East, including the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off.

Trump in recent days has also spoken with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Chinese President Xi Jinping about the Iran war.

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press





Source link

  • Related Posts

    5 dead, including suspects, after San Diego mosque shooting – National

    Descrease article font size Increase article font size An active shooter opened fire at a San Diego mosque Monday, where the FBI said three adult males were killed. Two other…

    Documents reveal Uber’s behind-the-scenes lobbying in Halifax

    Halifax Mayor Andy Fillmore met with an Uber lobbyist a day before the mayor persuaded council to delay a vote on a proposal to increase oversight of ride-hailing drivers, newly…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Humanoid Robots and Robot Pets Are No Longer Welcome on Southwest Flights

    Humanoid Robots and Robot Pets Are No Longer Welcome on Southwest Flights

    On Holding Founders Acquired $6.6 Million of Class A Shares

    On Holding Founders Acquired $6.6 Million of Class A Shares

    Trump to announce an expansion of his discounted-drug website TrumpRx

    Trump to announce an expansion of his discounted-drug website TrumpRx

    Brazil may re-route farm export flows amid US-China deal

    Brazil may re-route farm export flows amid US-China deal

    5 dead, including suspects, after San Diego mosque shooting – National

    5 dead, including suspects, after San Diego mosque shooting – National

    Jury tosses Elon Musk’s lawsuit against OpenAI and Sam Altman

    Jury tosses Elon Musk’s lawsuit against OpenAI and Sam Altman