Trump Renews Pressure as Iran Vows Retaliation Beyond Mideast


(Bloomberg) — The US and Iran traded threats of escalation on Wednesday as the weeks-long standoff in the Middle East dragged on without resolution.

Most Read from Bloomberg

President Donald Trump told reporters that the US was in the “final stages” with Iran, sparking investor hopes that a deal was close. Treasuries surged and oil dropped sharply.

But the president also reiterated a pledge to resume attacks in the coming days if Iran didn’t agree to his terms, a threat he’s made multiple times since the ceasefire began. Trump has repeatedly said the two sides were close to reaching an agreement, but none has yet emerged.

“We’ll either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty,” he said. “But hopefully that won’t happen.”

The US has insisted Iran surrender any plans for nuclear enrichment and reopen the Strait of Hormuz to commercial traffic — demands Tehran is refusing. Iran wants the US to end a blockade of its ports first.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian insisted the country was not on the brink of giving in. “Forcing Iran to surrender through coercion is nothing but an illusion,” he posted on X.

Trump later repeated the tight timeline he has set, and stretched, several times since the start of the conflict. “Believe me, if we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly,” Trump said after a speech at the Coast Guard Academy. “We’re all ready to go. We have to get the right answers.”

Earlier, Iran warned it would retaliate beyond the Middle East if the US or Israel renewed strikes, although it was unclear if Tehran had the capability to do so.

“If aggression against Iran is repeated, the regional war that had been promised will this time extend beyond the region,” the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said, according to the semi-official Tasnim news agency. The IRGC, which has gained even more influence over Iranian decision-making since the war erupted in late February, vowed “crushing blows in places you do not expect.”

Iran fired drones and missiles at several countries when the US and Israel began the war. In addition to Israel and Gulf Arab states, targets included Turkey and Cyprus. While Tehran’s military was battered by airstrikes until a truce was agreed on April 8, it still has the ability to attack countries in the region.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Fairy Creek anti-logging protesters win appeal in bid for class-action certification

    VANCOUVER — Fairy Creek anti-logging protesters have won an appeal against a court ruling that denied the certification of their proposed class-action lawsuit against the federal and provincial governments. VANCOUVER…

    Lay’s and Doritos maker to raise prices on small bags of chips

    PepsiCo — the company behind snack and beverage brands including Pepsi, Lay’s, Doritos, Gatorade and Quaker Oats — said it’s raising prices on some of its smaller chip bags just…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver | London

    Murder inquiry launched after fatal assault on London bus driver | London

    Delta Air Lines To Restart LAX-London Flights “In A Few Years” With 70%-Premium Cabins

    Delta Air Lines To Restart LAX-London Flights “In A Few Years” With 70%-Premium Cabins

    Kansas City Has Bought More Than 4,500 MacBook Neos For Its Students

    Kansas City Has Bought More Than 4,500 MacBook Neos For Its Students

    Honestly? We botched it” – Kickstarter apologises for its criticised adult content rules, and for betraying its “f*ck the establishment spirit

    Honestly? We botched it” – Kickstarter apologises for its criticised adult content rules, and for betraying its “f*ck the establishment spirit

    Simple Vacation Nails Are In for 2026—16 Ideas for Your Next Beachy Getaway

    Simple Vacation Nails Are In for 2026—16 Ideas for Your Next Beachy Getaway

    Ex-DoJ prosecutor charged with sending sealed Jack Smith Trump report to personal email | US politics

    Ex-DoJ prosecutor charged with sending sealed Jack Smith Trump report to personal email | US politics