Former prosecutor emailed herself the unreleased Jack Smith report, DOJ alleges


A former federal prosecutor was indicted on charges she emailed herself confidential files from special counsel Jack Smith’s investigation of allegations that President Donald Trump mishandled classified documents, the Justice Department said Wednesday.

Carmen Mercedes Lineberger, 62, was charged with four counts related to stealing, concealing and altering government property and records, according to the nine-page indictment.

The Justice Department alleges that while she was a managing assistant U.S. attorney in the Southern District of Florida last year, Lineberger received a copy of a confidential volume of Smith’s report. She altered file names of the volume, as well as other internal Justice Department materials, and sent them to her personal Hotmail and Gmail accounts, according to court documents.

Court documents allege that from September to December, Lineberger used file names including “chocolate cake recipe” and “bundt cake recipe” to avoid raising red flags about the downloaded files. The indictment does not say Lineberger shared the files with anyone.

Lineberger was arraigned in federal court Wednesday in West Palm Beach, Florida. If she is convicted on all charges, she could face more than 20 years in prison.

Lineberger’s attorney declined to comment to NBC News.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Florida is prosecuting the case, rather than a prosecutor from Lineberger’s former place of employment.

The files found in Lineberger’s personal email accounts include documents from a report a Trump-nominated federal judge ruled could not be released in February, according to the charging documents.

U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon in February barred the public release of Smith’s report on whether Trump had mishandled classified documents after he left the White House in 2021. Cannon argued that since Smith had worked on the report after she dismissed the case against Trump in July 2024, Smith’s appointment as special counsel was unconstitutional.

NBC News reported in March that a memo the Justice Department sent to Congress said Smith’s team had evidence Trump kept classified documents after he left office, including those related to his business interests.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Fairy Creek anti-logging protesters win appeal in bid for class-action certification

    VANCOUVER — Fairy Creek anti-logging protesters have won an appeal against a court ruling that denied the certification of their proposed class-action lawsuit against the federal and provincial governments. VANCOUVER…

    Lay’s and Doritos maker to raise prices on small bags of chips

    PepsiCo — the company behind snack and beverage brands including Pepsi, Lay’s, Doritos, Gatorade and Quaker Oats — said it’s raising prices on some of its smaller chip bags just…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Delta Air Lines To Restart LAX-London Flights “In A Few Years” With 70%-Premium Cabins

    Delta Air Lines To Restart LAX-London Flights “In A Few Years” With 70%-Premium Cabins

    Kansas City Has Bought More Than 4,500 MacBook Neos For Its Students

    Kansas City Has Bought More Than 4,500 MacBook Neos For Its Students

    Honestly? We botched it” – Kickstarter apologises for its criticised adult content rules, and for betraying its “f*ck the establishment spirit

    Honestly? We botched it” – Kickstarter apologises for its criticised adult content rules, and for betraying its “f*ck the establishment spirit

    Simple Vacation Nails Are In for 2026—16 Ideas for Your Next Beachy Getaway

    Simple Vacation Nails Are In for 2026—16 Ideas for Your Next Beachy Getaway

    Ex-DoJ prosecutor charged with sending sealed Jack Smith Trump report to personal email | US politics

    Ex-DoJ prosecutor charged with sending sealed Jack Smith Trump report to personal email | US politics

    Senate’s handling of energy efficiency bill slowing plans to introduce consumer rebates, says government source

    Senate’s handling of energy efficiency bill slowing plans to introduce consumer rebates, says government source