Manitoba lifts U.S. booze ban to sell off wines, liqueurs set to expire in fall


Text to Speech Icon

Listen to this article

Estimated 3 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

There weren’t any lineups but there were mile-long smiles from Winnipeggers who took advantage of another sale of U.S. booze at Manitoba Liquor Marts on Monday — the first time the province has offered it up since December.

Unlike at Christmas, when the provincial government made a broad announcement about selling the stock, Monday’s sale was quietly posted on the Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corporation website.

Tony Mariani heard about it through a friend who works at a liquor store.

“So we figured, we like U.S wines, [might as well] come and get some,” he said after stocking up at the Ness Avenue liquor mart location. “And our premier has done some great things by giving the money to charities.”

A sign in a white piece of paper is besides a group of bottles of wine.
Manitoba’s government pulled U.S. alcohol from its store shelves earlier this year. (Ed White/Reuters)

The provincial government pulled American liquor from its store shelves in February 2025, in response to tariffs on Canadian goods imposed by the United States.

When it made the alcohol available to the public between Dec. 8 and Dec. 31 last year, lineups stretched out the doors.

Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries has since calculated that it took in an estimated $6.9 million in retail value from the sale at its liquor mart stores and its various commercial partners.

The money was given to various charities, including the Christmas Cheer Board, Harvest Manitoba, the Brandon-Westman Christmas Cheer Registry, Helping Hands Centre of Brandon, Boys and Girls Club of Thompson, and Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak Inc.

The current sale is on wines and liqueurs that would otherwise expire in the fall and need to be destroyed, a provincial government spokesperson told CBC News.

They have been discounted by 30 per cent.

“At this time we do not expect to require any further sell offs, hence the term ‘last-chance sale,'” the spokesperson said. 

A woman smiles outside of a store entrance.
Faye Lambert bought 10 bottles of U.S. wine at the Ness Avenue liquor mart on Monday. (Ron Dhaliwal/CBC)

The Manitoba government is once again donating the proceeds of the U.S. liquor sales to local community programs and initiatives, including food hamper and child nutrition programs, according to the notice on the MBLL website.

“Perfect, then my money’s going somewhere good,” said Faye Lambert, who collected an assortment of 10 bottles of U.S. wine at the Ness liquor mart.

She also heard about the sale through friends and was among the first at the store on Monday, not wanting to risk the disappointment of the December sale. She tried to go then but the lineup was way too long so she left empty-handed.

“I didn’t know what there was so I just came in and started grabbing,” Lambert said about Monday. “There’s some pretty good deals. There’s a couple of pinot grigios that are one for $6-something.”

The provincial spokesperson said the remaining stock of U.S. booze was distributed among liquor stores across the province.

People are advised to check with their local liquor mart to see which last-chance items are available.

The government will announce at a later date how much money was raised for charity.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Trump says he’s called off planned Iran strikes ahead of new ‘negotiations’ – National

    By Michelle Price The Associated Press Posted May 18, 2026 4:22 pm 1 min read Descrease article font size Increase article font size U.S. President Donald Trump said he is…

    Ottawa Charge staying confident ahead of must-win Game 3 on home ice

    Listen to this article Estimated 3 minutes The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    IPL 2026, CSK vs SRH 63rd Match Match Report, May 18, 2026

    IPL 2026, CSK vs SRH 63rd Match Match Report, May 18, 2026

    No Gravity Games Is Giving Away 6 Free Switch Games This Month

    No Gravity Games Is Giving Away 6 Free Switch Games This Month

    Coach Unveils New Collab with Brain Dead in Surprise Runway

    Coach Unveils New Collab with Brain Dead in Surprise Runway

    Minister Joly announces support for human rights defenders and media freedom

    Minister Joly announces support for human rights defenders and media freedom

    Fennec Pharmaceuticals Announces Inducement Grants Under Nasdaq Listing Rule 5635(c)(4)

    Trump says he’s called off planned Iran strikes ahead of new ‘negotiations’ – National

    Trump says he’s called off planned Iran strikes ahead of new ‘negotiations’ – National