Long Island Rail Road strike is over, New York Gov. Hochul says


The Long Island Rail Road strike has ended, according to New York Gov. Kathy Hochul.

“Tonight, the MTA reached a fair deal with the five LIRR unions that delivers raises for workers while protecting riders and taxpayers. I’m pleased to announce that phased LIRR service will resume beginning tomorrow at noon,” Hochul said in a statement on X Monday night.

The LIRR serves more than 300,000 commuters daily.

The strike, the first by the LIRR in 32 years, began Saturday at midnight after the union representing thousands of rail workers and the the New York Metro Transit Authority (MTA) failed to reach an agreement on a new contract.

A Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) train at Penn Station in New York City, May 15, 2026.

Adam Gray/Getty Images

Kevin Sexton, the national vice president of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLET), one of the five unions representing LIRR workers, told reporters that he and other leaders could not come to an agreement over salary increases and health care costs before the negotiation deadline ended.

MTA CEO Janno Leiber said during a Sunday press conference with Hochul that what the unions asked for would force riders to “pay the cost of a labor settlement that blew up the MTA budget.” 

Negotiations resumed Sunday afternoon when the National Mediation Board, an independent federal agency that manages labor relations in the railroad and airline industries, summoned both sides to a meeting.

Negotiations picked up again Monday morning as LIRR riders sought transportation alternatives.

The unions demanded wage increases of 14.5% over four years, ABC New York City station WABC reported, while MTA officials offered slightly smaller increases and a lump-sum payment in the contract’s fourth year to make up the difference. The proposed pay bumps are largely in line with contracts accepted by the LIRR’s conductors and New York City Transit workers, WABC reported.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Cuba’s president says country poses “no threat” to U.S. after report of island’s alleged military drones

    Washington — Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez insisted Cuba “poses no threat” to the United States and doesn’t have “aggressive plans or intentions against any country,” after Axios reported that…

    Justices Hint at Strains as Supreme Court Comes Under Scrutiny

    In Pennsylvania earlier this month, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. insisted the public is misguided to think of Supreme Court justices as political actors. In Florida last week, Justice…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Australian Aboriginals cared for a dingo’s grave for decades

    Australian Aboriginals cared for a dingo’s grave for decades

    How to get Axum Bacterial Culture in Subnautica 2

    How to get Axum Bacterial Culture in Subnautica 2

    This Major US Airport Just Announced America’s First Offsite TSA Screening Service

    This Major US Airport Just Announced America’s First Offsite TSA Screening Service

    Canada Gazette – Part I, August 8, 2020, Vol. 154, No. 32

    Oil Declines After Trump Says He Called Off Strike on Iran

    ‘Disposable’ operatives for hire are a new menace for western countries | Iraq

    ‘Disposable’ operatives for hire are a new menace for western countries | Iraq