‘Tense’ negotiations result in non-binding Churchill Falls deal that includes massive expansion


Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney shakes hands with employees at Rio Tinto, a major aluminum smelter in Saguenay Thursday August 6, 2026.

OTTAWA — Quebec, Newfoundland and Ottawa announced a deal Monday that would see a massive redevelopment and expansion of the Churchill Falls hydroelectric facility and both provinces set aside a decades-long conflict over electricity prices… for now.

Prime Minister Mark Carney and his Quebec and Newfoundland counterparts Christine Fréchette and Tony Wakeham were in Newfoundland to announce the new deal on Monday afternoon.

“After months of occasionally tense but always positive negotiations, we have achieved a rare win-win-win,” N.L. Premier Wakeham said, calling the original 1969 energy deal between Quebec and his province “one of the darkest chapters” of its past.

“What a great day it is for Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador,” Fréchette added.

The renegotiated but non-binding deal promises to boost energy production at the Churchill Falls hydroelectric facilities significantly, as well as commits to build a long-debated production facility at nearby Gull Island.

Both provinces noted that the deal would not have happened without significant federal government investment. According to a release, Ottawa is committing up to $10 billion and promising to expedite approvals for the construction projects by referring it to the new Major Projects Office.

Plans to expand existing facilities and building the Gull Island power project as well as an onshore wind energy project and new transmission lines to Labrador in Quebec would triple the generating capacity of Churchill Falls to 14,000 megawatts of renewable power, Carney said.

“That is more than the entire generating capacity of BC Hydro. It’s more than double the output of Bruce Power, the largest nuclear plant on this continent. It is the equivalent of 18 Hoover Dams in America, at its current operating capacity,” the prime minister said, calling it the largest renewable energy investment in Canada’s history.

In a technical briefing for reporters Monday morning, Newfoundland government officials said much of the current agreement is non-binding until the deal if completely finalized and approved likely by the end of the year.

That means the agreement risks getting upended for the second time in two years if the Parti Québécois gets elected in the province’s upcoming provincial election in October. The PQ currently leads in provincial opinion polls.

The PQ previously told National Post that if elected, it would try to redraft any deal to include further compensation for the province’s historic loss of the territory of Labrador roughly one century ago. That could explain why both provinces moved to sign a deal before the provincial elections are called.

At the press conference, Fréchette admitted that the PQ could rip up the deal if it forms the next provincial government.

“It’s a possibility,” she argued.

With the Quebec election looming, both Hydro-Québec and N.L. Hydro hammered out a new agreement to update the terms of the 2024 memorandum of understanding to develop Gull Island and expand capacity at the Churchill Falls plant.

That deal was signed between then-Quebec Premier François Legault and former N.L. Premier Andrew Furey to replace a contentious 1969 energy deal that saw Hydro-Québec develop the Churchill Falls site and benefit from cheap hydroelectricity for decades. The deal caused generations of resentment in Newfoundland and Labrador, where it was perceived as a terrible deal on made the back of the province.

However, when Wakeham was elected N.L. premier in 2025, he promised to review the 2024 MOU. A report concluded the deal was not in Newfoundland and Labrador’s best interests and negotiations restarted between both sides.

Monday, Wakeham said that he was reneging on his promise to put the agreement to a provincial referendum and would instead reconvene the legislature in mid-September to debate the deal. The move could be tied to a desire to accelerate final negotiations before the Quebec election.

National Post, with files from Catherine Lévesque

cnardi@postmedia.com

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our politics newsletter, First Reading, here.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Anthony Koch: Replacing Poilievre won’t solve the Conservatives’ problems

    There is a growing chorus of Conservatives who want Pierre Poilievre gone. They should be careful what they wish for. This isn’t necessarily a defence of Poilievre. He has made…

    Minister Ng to lead Canadian businesses on Team Canada Trade Mission to Indonesia and Philippines

    December 1, 2024 – Ottawa, Ontario – Global Affairs Canada The Honourable Mary Ng, Minister of Export Promotion, International Trade and Economic Development, is headed to Jakarta, Indonesia, to lead…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    ‘It: Welcome to Derry’ Season 2 Officially Confirmed by HBO

    ‘It: Welcome to Derry’ Season 2 Officially Confirmed by HBO

    Sources: NBA has no evidence Ballmer funneled money to Leonard via sponsors

    Sources: NBA has no evidence Ballmer funneled money to Leonard via sponsors

    Anthony Koch: Replacing Poilievre won’t solve the Conservatives’ problems

    Anthony Koch: Replacing Poilievre won’t solve the Conservatives’ problems

    Barred From Ballot, a Party Becomes a Vessel for Russians’ Discontent

    Barred From Ballot, a Party Becomes a Vessel for Russians’ Discontent

    5 years after Taliban seized control, Afghan refugee reflects on new life in Saskatoon

    5 years after Taliban seized control, Afghan refugee reflects on new life in Saskatoon

    The Analogue Pocket gets a Supreme makeover in red or gold

    The Analogue Pocket gets a Supreme makeover in red or gold