Cuba’s president says country poses “no threat” to U.S. after report of island’s alleged military drones


Washington — Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez insisted Cuba “poses no threat” to the United States and doesn’t have “aggressive plans or intentions against any country,” after Axios reported that the island nation has hundreds of military drones and has been allegedly discussing plans to strike the U.S. military base in Guantanamo Bay and potentially Florida’s Key West.

The Cuban president didn’t specifically mention the reported drones, but rather, criticized what he described as “threats of military aggression against Cuba from the world’s greatest power” and defended Cuba’s “absolute and legitimate right to defend itself against a military onslaught.” Axios reported Cuba has acquired roughly 300 military drones and stashed them throughout the country. CBS News has not independently confirmed the details of the drone report, although Cuba isn’t denying the existence of military drones. 

“The threats of military aggression against Cuba from the world’s greatest power are well-known,” Díaz-Canel said on social media in a translated statement. “The threat itself already constitutes an international crime. If it were to materialize, it would trigger a bloodbath with incalculable consequences, plus the destructive impact on regional peace and stability.

“Cuba poses no threat, nor does it have aggressive plans or intentions against any country,” he continued. “It has none against the U.S., nor has it ever had any — something the government of that nation knows full well, particularly its defense and national security agencies. Cuba, which already endures a multidimensional aggression from the U.S., does have the absolute and legitimate right to defend itself against a military onslaught. Yet that cannot be wielded, either logically or honestly, as an excuse for imposing war on the noble Cuban people.”

The Trump administration has been publicly considering the possibility of military intervention in Cuba, following the military operation in Venezuela. President Trump, while touting the capture of former Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro in January, has said that “Cuba is next.” In March, he said he would have the “honor” of “taking Cuba in some form” and “I can do anything I want with it.”

The U.S. has put financial pressure on Cuba in recent months, in an effort to weaken the Communist Party’s leadership. The administration has threatened large-scale tariffs on any countries that export oil to Cuba, causing energy shortages on the island — a move Díaz-Canel called “genocidal” in a separate social media post on Monday. But the sanctions haven’t crippled Cuba’s leadership, as some had hoped.

CIA Director John Ratcliffe visited Havana last week, demanding “fundamental changes” there and warning that Cuba can “no longer be a safe haven for adversaries.”



Source link

  • Related Posts

    New recruits are joining the military in big numbers, but not for the reason Hegseth says

    By lunchtime at a northern Virginia high school, the hallway outside the cafeteria buzzed with students finishing homework, joking with friends and playing video games. Off to the side, Tech…

    Growing backlash amid privacy concerns over Flock cameras

    There’s rising scrutiny over Flock Safety’s nationwide network of cameras that record license plate numbers. Over the weekend, a protest turned physical in Fargo, North Dakota, while officials in Hood…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    The WordPress.com Student Plan Is Here: Give Your Students a Website They Can Keep

    The SR-71 Flew Coast-To-Coast In 64 Minutes & Here’s Where To Find Every Surviving Blackbird

    The SR-71 Flew Coast-To-Coast In 64 Minutes & Here’s Where To Find Every Surviving Blackbird

    ‘I just wanted to get out of there’: Edmonton transit riders report drug use, assaults

    ‘I just wanted to get out of there’: Edmonton transit riders report drug use, assaults

    Ayyoub Bouaddi transfer news: Manchester City in advanced talks for midfielder

    Ayyoub Bouaddi transfer news: Manchester City in advanced talks for midfielder

    72-year-old woman says she was hit with pepper spray while recording ICE agents in Manhattan

    72-year-old woman says she was hit with pepper spray while recording ICE agents in Manhattan

    CookUnity Prepared Meal Delivery Review (2026): Chef-Centric Meals

    CookUnity Prepared Meal Delivery Review (2026): Chef-Centric Meals