B.C. Conservative hopeful Findlay still in race after ‘unproven and anonymous’ claims



VICTORIA — The committee organizing the leadership race for the B.C. Conservatives says it doesn’t have enough credible evidence to take action against a candidate after a media report said she was accused of wrongdoing in the last federal election.

VICTORIA — The committee organizing the leadership race for the B.C. Conservatives says it doesn’t have enough credible evidence to take action against a candidate after a media report said she was accused of wrongdoing in the last federal election.

The leadership campaign for Kerry-Lynne Findlay said earlier this week that the allegations are false and the “unproven and anonymous” claims were leaked to the media at the most politically damaging moment possible.

Findlay said on social media platform X on Friday that her campaign won’t be stopped “no matter what they throw” at her, and she won’t be silenced or intimidated.

She is one of five candidates on the ballot to replace John Rustad as voting starts on Saturday among members of the main provincial opposition party.

A statement from the Commissioner of Canada Elections’ office says it is aware of the report about Findlay but it doesn’t confirm receiving a complaint or initiating an investigation because of confidentiality provisions in the federal Elections Act.

The statement from the leadership race’s organizing committee says Findlay has “not provided any substantive response or co-operated” and it has reached out to investigators from the commissioner’s office, but has received no response.

The organizing committee says its “goal is to provide the membership with as much information as possible and to act in the party’s best interests.”

Findlay has a news conference scheduled for Monday.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 22, 2026.

The Canadian Press





Source link

  • Related Posts

    Iran-U.S. diplomacy intensifies as Trump seeks ‘right answers,’ Tehran signals gaps ‘reduced’

    A new burst of diplomatic action intensified Thursday in a push to break the deadlock between the United States and Iran. Subscribe to read this story ad-free Get unlimited access…

    World Cup expected to boost Toronto tourism even if hotel bookings haven’t surged

    TORONTO — Hotel industry and tourism groups in Toronto are optimistic that FIFA World Cup matches will bring many people to the city and boost the local economy despite a…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Iran-U.S. diplomacy intensifies as Trump seeks ‘right answers,’ Tehran signals gaps ‘reduced’

    Iran-U.S. diplomacy intensifies as Trump seeks ‘right answers,’ Tehran signals gaps ‘reduced’

    6 Commercial Aircraft That Made Headlines For All The Wrong Reasons

    6 Commercial Aircraft That Made Headlines For All The Wrong Reasons

    California: 40,000 people ordered to evacuate over chemical leak fears | California

    California: 40,000 people ordered to evacuate over chemical leak fears | California

    Coal mine gas explosion in China kills 8 and leaves dozens trapped underground

    Coal mine gas explosion in China kills 8 and leaves dozens trapped underground

    Live Updates: Toxic Explosion Feared at California Chemical Plant

    Live Updates: Toxic Explosion Feared at California Chemical Plant

    Ebola outbreak now third largest recorded and “spreading rapidly”

    Ebola outbreak now third largest recorded and “spreading rapidly”