World Cup expected to boost Toronto tourism even if hotel bookings haven’t surged


TORONTO — Hotel industry and tourism groups in Toronto are optimistic that FIFA World Cup matches will bring many people to the city and boost the local economy despite a lack of surge in hotel bookings and high ticket prices.

Sara Anghel, president and CEO of the Greater Toronto Hotel Association, said the soccer tournament will definitely have a positive economic impact, even after FIFA cancelled thousands of hotel room bookings in Toronto, Vancouver and other host cities.

“We’ve never had the opportunity to host something of this magnitude,” she said in an interview. “It’s basically six Super Bowls in the city over the span of less than a month.”

Destination Toronto’s vice-president of destination development, Kelly Jackson, said typically hotels are at about 80 per cent capacity in June and July and they expect it will be similar this June.

Toronto is hosting six World Cup games, starting with Canada’s opening match against Bosnia-Herzegovina on June 12.

Jackson said hotels are receiving more individual traveller bookings in June this year compared to the same month last year, which is making up for the decline in group bookings as major conventions and meetings that are usually held in June were moved to May or July.

“We, of course, have all of the energy that’s coming with the six World Cup matches and a massive fan fest,” she said. “It’s going to be an electrifying month here in the city and we’re expecting significant out-of-town visitation.”

Many soccer fans have balked at the exorbitant ticket prices for the matches in Toronto and Vancouver and the cost of accommodation in host cities. After FIFA cancelled thousands of its own hotel reservations across North America as part of an operational adjustment, the American Hotel and Lodging Association cited disappointing bookings in U.S. host cities.

Destination Vancouver has said that June hotel bookings in the city are down 20 per cent this year compared with the same time in 2025, but it remains hopeful hotels will fill up closer to kickoff.

Anghel said Toronto remains an attractive destination with plenty to offer to visitors who are coming for the World Cup, or for other reasons even after the tournament is over.

“And given the geopolitical climate that we’re in right now and some of the issues with the United States, you know, I think that Toronto can become an even better and amazing destination going forward,” she said.

Sixteen cities across Canada, the United States and Mexico will host a combined 104 World Cup games during the expanded 48-team tournament, running June 11 through July 19.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Strike notice by Metro Vancouver staff, district says essential services unaffected

    VANCOUVER — A union representing hundreds of Metro Vancouver employees says it has issued a 72-hour strike notice in their dispute with the regional district, which says essential services won’t…

    Justice Department deletes press releases on charges against Jan. 6 rioters

    The Justice Department has removed press releases detailing the charges against hundreds of individuals who participated in the Jan. 6, 2021 Capitol riot from its website, the department confirmed Friday.…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Minister Hussen to make an announcement in support of small-scale financial institutions in developing countries

    Strike notice by Metro Vancouver staff, district says essential services unaffected

    Strike notice by Metro Vancouver staff, district says essential services unaffected

    Trump Mobile investigating potential exposure of would-be customers’ personal information | Donald Trump

    Trump Mobile investigating potential exposure of would-be customers’ personal information | Donald Trump

    Don't worry, GTA 6 is still planned for November, marketing push will begin this summer

    Don't worry, GTA 6 is still planned for November, marketing push will begin this summer

    Justice Department deletes press releases on charges against Jan. 6 rioters

    Justice Department deletes press releases on charges against Jan. 6 rioters

    Are You Really Going To Talk To Gemini Like That?

    Are You Really Going To Talk To Gemini Like That?