Middle East crisis live: Trump claims Iran attack ‘on hold’ due to request from Gulf allies | US-Israel war on Iran


Trump claims Iran attack ‘on hold’ due to request from Gulf countries

We are restarting our live coverage of the US-Israeli war on Iran and the other conflicts in the Middle East. Donald Trump says he has called off a planned attack on Iran on Tuesday at the request of Gulf states so peace talks could continue.

In a post on Truth Social on Monday, the US president said he had been asked to do so by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Trump said he had been told a deal would be made that is “very acceptable” to the US, adding there would be “no nuclear weapons for Iran”.

He said, however, that he had informed his military leaders “to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached”.

An Iranian man walk past a picture of supreme leader Mojtaba Khamenei in a street in Tehran.
An Iranian man walk past a picture of supreme leader Mojtaba Khamenei in a street in Tehran. Photograph: Abedin Taherkenareh/EPA

The announcement came as Iran’s foreign military spokesperson, Esmail Baghaei, claimed Pakistan has shared Tehran’s latest proposal with the US.

Trump has repeatedly threatened to launch new strikes on Iran, only to retreat at the last minute. The war on Iran is deeply unpopular with the American public and is hitting consumers hard with increased oil and fertiliser costs resulting from the reduced flow of vessels through the critical strait of Hormuz. ‘

Negotiations on Iran’s nuclear programme and the strait of Hormuz have reached a deadlock and the US’s blockade of Iranian ports is failing to force Tehran into making painful concessions even though Iran is suffering an escalating economic crisis.

Trump did not say what targets the US had planned to strike on Tuesday, but officials said the military could have targeted Iran’s ballistic missile sites, according to the New York Times.

Share



Source link

  • Related Posts

    ‘We never quit’: Resilient Ottawa Charge comfortable as underdogs in Walter Cup final

    Before the puck dropped on a must-win Game 3 in the PWHL Walter Cup final, Ottawa Charge head coach Carla MacLeod stood on the bench and took in her surroundings.…

    Labour likely to win next election with Burnham as leader, say party members – UK politics live | Politics

    Labour members think party likely to win next election with Burnham as leader, but not Starmer, poll suggests Good morning. A week ago, at cabinet, Keir Starmer delivered a “put…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Forza Horizon 6 interactive map

    Forza Horizon 6 interactive map

    U.S. announces Ebola-related travel restrictions amid outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    U.S. announces Ebola-related travel restrictions amid outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    The Dory Sign is E ink, smart screen simplicity at its finest

    The Dory Sign is E ink, smart screen simplicity at its finest

    ‘We never quit’: Resilient Ottawa Charge comfortable as underdogs in Walter Cup final

    ‘We never quit’: Resilient Ottawa Charge comfortable as underdogs in Walter Cup final

    Starbucks Korea CEO fired over promotion that evoked military crackdown | Business and Economy News

    Starbucks Korea CEO fired over promotion that evoked military crackdown | Business and Economy News

    Ebola may be spreading faster than first thought, WHO doctor warns

    Ebola may be spreading faster than first thought, WHO doctor warns