WHO head ‘deeply concerned’ by Ebola outbreak as cases and deaths surge in DRC | Ebola


The director general of the World Health Organization has said he is deeply concerned about the scale and the speed of the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said there had been at least 500 suspected cases of Ebola and 130 suspected deaths in DRC since the new outbreak began. Thirty cases had been confirmed in DRC’s north-eastern province of Ituri, and one death and one case had been confirmed in Kampala, Uganda, he added. In addition, he said, there was “one US citizen confirmed positive and transferred to Germany, as reported by the US”.

“These numbers will change as field operations are scaling up, including strengthening surveillance, contact tracing and laboratory testing,” Tedros told members of the World Health assembly, who are meeting this week in Geneva.

Tedros declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern in the early hours of Sunday morning. On Tuesday he said: “This is the first time a director general has declared a PHEIC before convening an emergency committee. I did not do this lightly … I’m deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic.”

The WHO will convene its emergency committee on Tuesday to advise what recommendations it should make on how to control the outbreak.

Tedros said reports of cases in urban areas, where the virus typically finds it easier to spread, were also cause for concern.

Cases among health workers indicated potential spread in clinics and hospitals, he said, and there was “significant population movement in the area”, for work and also due to conflict.

The province of Ituri, where most cases have been reported, was “highly insecure”, Ghebreyesus said. “Conflict has intensified since late 2025, and the fighting has escalated significantly over the past two months resulting in civilian deaths. Over 100,000 people have been newly displaced. And in Ebola outbreaks, you know what displacement means.”

Ebola spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids from infected people or animals and causes symptoms that can include high fever, vomiting and internal and external bleeding. According to the WHO, the average fatality rate from Ebola is around 50%, varying from 25% to 90% in past outbreaks.

Bundibugyo virus, the type of Ebola that is causing the current outbreak, has no vaccines or treatments.

Although more than 20 Ebola outbreaks have been recorded in DRC and Uganda, this is only the third time that the Bundibugyo virus has been detected. Cases have now also been confirmed in Bunia and North Kivu’s rebel-held capital of Goma, as well as Mongbwalu, Butembo, and Nyakunde.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    W.H.O. Chief Is ‘Deeply Concerned’ by Speed and Scale of Ebola Outbreak as Cases Rise

    The warning came shortly after Congo officials reported more than 130 suspected deaths and 513 cases, a sharp rise since the outbreak was first reported over the weekend. Source link

    Starbucks Korea CEO fired over promotion that evoked military crackdown | Business and Economy News

    ‘Tank Day’ marketing campaign provoked backlash for eliciting bloody suppression of 1980 Gwangju uprising. Published On 19 May 202619 May 2026 The head of Starbucks Korea has been dismissed after…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    In unprecedented move, Secretary Hegseth hits campaign trail amid Iran war

    In unprecedented move, Secretary Hegseth hits campaign trail amid Iran war

    Best Android Phones of 2026: Tested by Our Experts

    Best Android Phones of 2026: Tested by Our Experts

    25 Chic J.Crew Memorial Day Sale Finds for 2026

    25 Chic J.Crew Memorial Day Sale Finds for 2026

    Canada Gazette – Part I, June 27, 2020, Vol. 154, No. 26

    Cropin Scales Global AgTech Analytics With Sisense

    Flight disruptions and rising costs are upending summer travel plans. Here’s what Canadians can do

    Flight disruptions and rising costs are upending summer travel plans. Here’s what Canadians can do