Watchdog to investigate death of man after police contact at Bristol protest | Police


The police watchdog is investigating the use of force against a retired NHS worker who attended a counter-demonstration against the far right and died shortly after contact with officers there.

Nicholas Stone, 65, who lived in Bristol, died on 10 January after becoming unwell at a protest opposing the rightwing group Bristol Patriots, who were demonstrating in the city centre.

According to information from Stone’s family’s legal team and the police, during the demonstration, at approximately 11.54am, Stone ran towards Clare Street at the same time police officers were approaching that street to form a cordon. Two officers used force to prevent Stone passing.

As a result, he ended up on the ground on his back. He was helped to his feet by other protesters. At about 1pm, a first aider was asked to assist him as he said he was feeling clammy and cold. She helped him into a taxi at 1.19pm. Avon and Somerset police told the Guardian they received a call from the ambulance service about a man in cardiac arrest at 1.50pm. He died at the scene.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) initially declined to investigate and said Avon and Somerset police should conduct an internal investigation. But is has now confirmed it will conduct an independent investigation.

“Following representations made to the IOPC, we reassessed that decision and decided that an independent investigation was necessary,” an IOPC spokesperson said

“We are examining Mr Stone’s contact with officers including any use of force and whether that was necessary, reasonable and proportionate in the circumstances.”

“We have been advised by the force that, Nicholas Stone had some interaction with officers just before midday on 10 January 2026.

“We received a mandatory referral from Avon and Somerset police in January 2026.”

Nicholas Stone’s daughter, Celia Stone, 33, who lives in Manchester, welcomed the decision by IOPC to investigate her father’s death.

She told the Guardian that the IOPC had written to her and said it would independently investigate the case due to its seriousness and public interest factors.

“It’s frustrating that it has taken four months and multiple representations,” she said. “The lawfulness of the force used against my dad and whether it was necessary and proportionate needs to be investigated. It’s not only important for our family but it’s also in the public interest to make sure this is investigated properly. I’m determined to fight for as long as it takes to get justice for my dad.

“The whole thing has been so traumatising for me. I’m an only child and my dad brought me up as a single parent. He had no diagnosed medical conditions at the time of his death.

“My dad was a retired mental health worker. He spent over 20 years working for the NHS supporting some of the most vulnerable people in society. He was a very gentle and kind man and was very passionate about human rights and making the world a better and safer place. He always stood up for equality.

“I believe that if the police intervention at the protest had not happened, my dad would still be alive today.”

A spokesperson for Avon and Somerset police said: “Officers were called at around 1.50pm on Saturday 10 January by the ambulance service … following a report of a man in cardiac arrest. Sadly, despite efforts from emergency personnel, the man died at the scene.

“During inquiries it was established the man had attended protest activity earlier in the day in Bristol city centre, where there was prior police contact.

“As a result, a mandatory referral was made to the Independent Office for Police Conduct, who decided it was suitable for a local investigation to be carried out by our professional standards department.

“Following reassessment, we have been informed the IOPC will be taking this on as an independent investigation and we will cooperate with this.”



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Riders begin Grey Cup title defence versus Lions – Calgary

    They can’t change history, but Nathan Rourke and the B.C. Lions can exorcise a few demons Saturday night. B.C. opens its season in Regina against the Roughriders. That’s also where…

    IN PHOTOS | Canadian Men’s National Soccer Team training highlights

    Sports Members of Canada’s FIFA World Cup squad take part in a training session at the Toronto FC Training Ground on Wednesday — two days before their tournament opening match…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Passage: In memoriam – CBS News

    Passage: In memoriam – CBS News

    Rasooli to lead new-look Afghanistan side in Asian Games 2026

    Rasooli to lead new-look Afghanistan side in Asian Games 2026

    Will King of the Hill Pit Hank And Buck Against Each Other?

    Will King of the Hill Pit Hank And Buck Against Each Other?

    Zambia elections: Top opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote

    Zambia elections: Top opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote

    Carney to make announcement in St. John’s with Quebec, N.L. premiers

    Carney to make announcement in St. John’s with Quebec, N.L. premiers

    International Petroleum Corporation Announces Results of Normal Course Issuer Bid