US to let DR Congo football team in for World Cup despite Ebola restrictions | World Cup 2026 News


The US has banned non-Americans who have visited DR Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the last 21 days from entry.

The United States will ensure that the Democratic Republic of the Congo’s (DRC) football team can enter the country to play in the World Cup, making an exemption to an Ebola-related entry ban, according to a senior Department of State official.

“We expect the DRC team to be able to attend the World Cup,” the official said on condition of anonymity.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

The US has banned non-Americans who have been in the DRC, Uganda or South Sudan in the previous 21 days from visiting the country due to a deadly outbreak of Ebola.

The US official said the DRC team, the only one among the three countries to have qualified for football’s premier event, had already been training in Europe, so they may not have been subject to the ban in any case.

But if they had, in fact, been in the DRC over the last 21 days, they would be subject to the sort of strict screening required for returning US citizens.

“We’re working to get them into the same protocol for testing in isolation that American citizens returning and permanent residents would be,” the official said.

The official said the exemption would not apply to everyday fans from the DRC looking to come to cheer on the team.

The DRC begin their World Cup campaign in Texas against Portugal on June 17.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    People are worried about America’s solvency

    But not worried enough to actually do anything about it Source link

    American Hiker Dies After Lightning Strike on Mount Etna in Italy

    Rescuers found a 29-year-old man in serious condition on the volcano’s eastern slope on Sunday. He was later pronounced dead at a hospital in Catania. Source link

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Nvidia investing $1.5B in SoftBank data center developer behind OpenAI project

    Nvidia investing $1.5B in SoftBank data center developer behind OpenAI project

    Woman dead after being swept into Lake Ontario – Toronto

    Woman dead after being swept into Lake Ontario – Toronto

    Some Democrats trying to reclaim the issue of faith from the Republican Party

    Some Democrats trying to reclaim the issue of faith from the Republican Party

    Supreme Court turns away Trump’s latest bid to block E. Jean Carroll award

    Supreme Court turns away Trump’s latest bid to block E. Jean Carroll award

    Eng vs Pak – Babar Azam remains in doubt for first Test in England

    Eng vs Pak – Babar Azam remains in doubt for first Test in England

    Mortal Shell 2 review: A monumental heavy metal sequel with the spirit of a ’90s PC game

    Mortal Shell 2 review: A monumental heavy metal sequel with the spirit of a ’90s PC game