Union for hundreds of Metro Vancouver workers announce ban on overtime work



VANCOUVER — A union representing hundreds of Metro Vancouver employees has announced an indefinite overtime ban as part of a dispute with the regional district.

VANCOUVER — A union representing hundreds of Metro Vancouver employees has announced an indefinite overtime ban as part of a dispute with the regional district.

Jesse Medeiros, with the Greater Vancouver Regional District Employees’ Union, says in a statement the overtime ban will have the most impact on water and sewer operations and maintenance and construction teams.

The statement says union members will also refuse standby work and not accept assignments outside of their defined job descriptions.

In March, union members voted almost 98 per cent in favour of authorizing job action, and last week issued a 72-hour strike notice with the BC Labour Relations Board.

The union says Metro Vancouver has not addressed issues such as safety, contracting out and recruitment measures, and warns there’s a possibility of escalating job action in the hours ahead.

The district says it has offered more than 10 per cent in general wage increases over three years, and a one-time increase of $0.25 on hourly pay rates next April.

The last deal expired in December 2024 for the union’s 600 members and 150 contract workers, who are involved in operations such as water, sewer and infrastructure services across Metro Vancouver.

The district said in a statement Friday that job action by the union would not affect essential services such as drinking water, wastewater treatment, solid waste management, air quality monitoring, wildfire suppression, and housing.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 24, 2026.

The Canadian Press





Source link

  • Related Posts

    News of the day: Tentative trade deal, Roots goes private, estate planning problems, retail sales set to fall, fixed-rate mortgage bargains and more

    Marquee Brands, a brand management company that operates 24 brands including Roberto Cavalli, BCBGMAXAZRIA, Martha Stewart, Laura Ashley and more, will acquire Roots through operating partner JM&A Design and Development…

    US imposes 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian products, and Canada says it will retaliate

    WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States imposed 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian products early Saturday, and Canada immediately said it would retaliate, after last-ditch negotiations failed to…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    5 Easy But Elegant Outfits I’m Copying in Autumn 2026

    5 Easy But Elegant Outfits I’m Copying in Autumn 2026

    The Sinking City 2 Review

    The Sinking City 2 Review

    Canada Gazette – Part I, November 15, 2025, volume 159, number 46

    News of the day: Tentative trade deal, Roots goes private, estate planning problems, retail sales set to fall, fixed-rate mortgage bargains and more

    Microsoft and Discord subpoenaed over GTA VI gameplay leaks

    Microsoft and Discord subpoenaed over GTA VI gameplay leaks

    U.S. set to impose 50% tariffs on Canada after failed talks; Canada to match them “dollar for dollar”

    U.S. set to impose 50% tariffs on Canada after failed talks; Canada to match them “dollar for dollar”