Trump Withdraws His $10 Billion Suit Against the I.R.S.


President Trump withdrew his lawsuit demanding at least $10 billion against the Internal Revenue Service in an effort to skirt oversight by the judge in the case as he moves toward arranging a fund to funnel taxpayer money to his allies and supporters.

The dismissal is the latest legal turn in an extraordinary attempt by Mr. Trump to win billions of dollars in damages from a government agency he controls.

Administration officials have in recent days considered creating a roughly $1.7 billion fund to compensate political allies, but not Mr. Trump directly, who say they were wronged by the Biden administration. That fund appears to be part of private deal, reached outside the purview of the court, to resolve both Mr. Trump’s I.R.S. lawsuit and his separate administrative claims against the Justice Department, according to people familiar with it who described it to The New York Times last week.

The move by Mr. Trump was a remarkable end-run around the legal system, effectively stripping Judge Kathleen M. Williams, who has been overseeing the case in the Southern District of Florida, of her normal role in approving a formal settlement agreement. By dismissing the case in its entirety, Mr. Trump essentially freed his hand to reach a deal with administration officials without any judicial oversight.

Judge Williams had been considered dismissing Mr. Trump’s suit on her own because he effectively controls both his personal lawyers bringing the complaint and the government lawyers who are supposed to respond to it.

She had ordered the Justice Department, which has yet to make an appearance or filing in the case, and Mr. Trump’s lawyers to brief her by Wednesday to explain whether they were actually in opposition — or were colluding to achieve a mutually agreeable outcome.

In their filing on Monday, Mr. Trump’s lawyers said their dismissal meant that “no judicial analysis is appropriate” for the suit.

The substance of Mr. Trump’s suit stems from the leak of his tax returns to The New York Times in 2019. Mr. Trump, two of his sons and his family business argue that the I.R.S. should have done more to prevent a former contractor from leaking tax information to The Times and ProPublica.

While federal law allows for people to sue the I.R.S. when their tax information is leaked, legal experts saw clear flaws in Mr. Trump’s suit and said that the Justice Department had defended other, similar cases brought by plaintiffs who were not the president.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Democratic Socialists Look for Upsets in Hostile Territory: Florida

    Florida does not jump off the electoral map as fertile territory for democratic socialists. President Trump won the state, which has shifted right in recent years, by 13 percentage points…

    This ‘n’ That: Updates from “Sunday Morning”

    This ‘n’ That: Updates from “Sunday Morning” – CBS News Watch CBS News Jane Pauley with updates of recent reports for “Sunday Morning” viewers. Source link

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Rasooli to lead new-look Afghanistan side in Asian Games 2026

    Rasooli to lead new-look Afghanistan side in Asian Games 2026

    Will King of the Hill Pit Hank And Buck Against Each Other?

    Will King of the Hill Pit Hank And Buck Against Each Other?

    Zambia elections: Top opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote

    Zambia elections: Top opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote

    Carney to make announcement in St. John’s with Quebec, N.L. premiers

    Carney to make announcement in St. John’s with Quebec, N.L. premiers

    International Petroleum Corporation Announces Results of Normal Course Issuer Bid

    What happens when a kid’s robot best friend dies?

    What happens when a kid’s robot best friend dies?