Saskatoon sees the Prairie Lily sail again after 18 months – Saskatoon


The Prairie Lily is back on the South Saskatchewan River after nearly sunsetting without a sail last year.

The beloved Saskatoon attraction has taken its maiden voyage with new owner Stephanie Simonot and record-level water levels.

“It was great seeing the crew, the family, old crew, new crew, everybody looks so good,” Simonot said. “Everybody kind of just gelled together and worked really well together.”

Behind the scenes, former owners, Capt. Mike and Joan Steckhan, along with their crew, are staying on board to help Simonot’s family finish their training to captain the ship.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

“I was definitely a little nervous at first, but we settled into it quite nicely and then it was really smooth,” said Sean Stevens, captain in training

“I’m just super excited to have the opportunity to bring the community of Saskatoon that experience again.”

Story continues below advertisement

Stevens has been training with the Prairie Lily’s crew to become a captain.

Steckhan says it is nice to be out on the water again with high water levels from a record high snowpack in the Rocky Mountains, following last year’s low water levels that put the ship in park.


“It’s a little different. It’s a far faster current. For the first time in five years that the river has been moving this fast because the long-term drought we had is over now. So the water’s coming in. It’s a different river again,” says Steckhan.

It was still smooth sailing for the riverboat on the successful first run for Simonot and her crew. Simonot said she hopes it will be the first of many this summer.

“I’m hoping people will be just happy to get back on the river and see how beautiful Saskatoon is,” said Simonot.

With the wait to hit the waters now over, word is spreading quickly, with more than 12 per cent of the bookings for the season already filled.

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Woman found dead inside Cabbagetown garage

    Police found the woman Saturday morning in the Dundas and Seaton streets area. Her death is currently being treated as suspicious. Source link

    Quebec Premier Fréchette won’t rule out exceeding $250M spending pot – Montreal

    Premier Christine Fréchette defended her spending promises on Saturday, despite a warning from the province’s finance minister that she may surpass the $250 million fund allocated to her. Radio-Canada has…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Super League: York 22-36 Catalans – new Dragons boss John Cartwright watches six tries in win

    Super League: York 22-36 Catalans – new Dragons boss John Cartwright watches six tries in win

    Violence and overcrowding hampers Ebola response in DRC | Ebola News

    Violence and overcrowding hampers Ebola response in DRC | Ebola News

    Shakira’s FIFA World Cup 2026 anthem gets star-studded video treatment

    Shakira’s FIFA World Cup 2026 anthem gets star-studded video treatment

    Woman found dead inside Cabbagetown garage

    Woman found dead inside Cabbagetown garage

    WATCH: Quadriplegic U.S. army veteran surprised with life-changing gift

    WATCH:  Quadriplegic U.S. army veteran surprised with life-changing gift

    Ansel Adams’ Trust Says AI-Colorized Version Of His Work Was Exhibited Without Permission

    Ansel Adams’ Trust Says AI-Colorized Version Of His Work Was Exhibited Without Permission