NYPD probes fresh video of people climbing out of Manhattan manhole


New York police are investigating a new video of three people emerging from a manhole in Manhattan, months after similar incidents were deemed to pose no threat to the public.

A video posted to TikTok on Friday showed three people in overalls, wearing what appeared to be headlamps, emerging from a manhole at 32nd St and 7th Avenue, near Penn Station and Madison Square Garden. The incident happened after 4 a.m. on Aug. 18, the person who posted the video told NBC News.

A spokesperson for the New York Police Department said the agency was aware of the video.

“There are no arrests and the investigation is ongoing,” police said.

Videos of men coming out of manholes in various parts of the city circulated online in May. It’s unclear whether the Aug. 18 incident is connected to those from earlier this year, though the individuals were dressed similarly — both groups wore protective clothing and what appeared to be headlamps.

New video shows a group wearing hip waiters and carrying flash lights as they pry open a manhole cover on May 5th just before 2 a.m. in Astoria.
A manhole cover is pried open on May 5 in Astoria, Queens, New York City around 2 a.m.AKI Autocare

In one May incident, a man in a white shirt and shorts was seen lifting a manhole cover at 2 a.m. in Brooklyn, allowing seven men to climb out of the sewers and change into different clothes near McDonald and Bedford avenues.

Hours later, another video showed seven men emerging from a manhole into a street with active traffic near Heyward Street and Bedford Avenue; at least three were carrying shovels.

A senior law enforcement official told NBC News at the time that the leading theory was that the individuals were scavenging for valuables. Police said an investigation found no immediate threat to the public and no damage to the sewer system.

“The NYPD, to make sure there was not a threat to the public, sent their highly trained Emergency Services Unit officers into the sewer system to make sure nothing nefarious had been left behind by the individuals — nothing was found,” police said in June.





Source link

  • Related Posts

    Sunday assorted links

    1. “Underestimating something that has an AI “accent” by reflexively dismissing it as slop rhymes curiously with underestimating someone because they have a funny accent in your native language (and…

    From business leaders to sports fans, Canada responds to trade war escalation

    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Mark Carney’s decision to suspend trade talks with the United States has stirred up emotions on both sides of the border, and has drawn the ire…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Sunday assorted links

    Sunday assorted links

    Under Poilievre, We’d Have CUSMAGA

    Under Poilievre, We’d Have CUSMAGA

    From business leaders to sports fans, Canada responds to trade war escalation

    From business leaders to sports fans, Canada responds to trade war escalation

    Experimental compound helps burn fat without muscle loss

    Experimental compound helps burn fat without muscle loss

    Is A Liquid-Cooled PC Worth It?

    Is A Liquid-Cooled PC Worth It?

    County DIV1 2026, SOM vs ESS 44th Match Match Report, August 20 – 23, 2026

    County DIV1 2026, SOM vs ESS 44th Match Match Report, August 20 – 23, 2026