New Brunswick to reveal amphibious aircraft ahead of hot summer months


FREDERICTON — The New Brunswick government says it’s unveiling an investment in new amphibious aircraft this morning.

Amphibious aircraft includes planes and helicopters that are designed to take off and land on both water and solid ground.

The announcement is being held at Forest Protection Ltd., which is majority-owned by the New Brunswick government.

Forest Protection conducts aerial surveys, manages forest health and also provides rapid-response wildfire fighting.

Officials didn’t provide any further details in a media advisory last week.

However, the Liberal government said in April it allocated $3 million to secure availability for four Fire Boss specialized water-scooping aircraft.

Premier Susan Holt in April kicked off wildfire season two weeks early this year over concerns related to record-low precipitation levels and a lack of snow.

Her Liberal government also spent $6.7 million to increase the number of year-round firefighting forest rangers to 169, up from 95.

The most recent Canada Drought Monitor report from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada on May 5 shows abnormally dry to modern drought conditions across much of New Brunswick.

It marks a slight improvement over the extreme drought conditions that were recorded for parts of the province in February.

New Brunswick’s natural resources minister has previously warned this summer is shaping up to be among the hottest years on record.

Nova Scotia’s government last week announced it was contracting four water bombers and another plane from Forest Protection. Previously, it relied on aircraft from the Natural Resources department and other provinces.

Nova Scotia said the $6.5-million contract will increase its wildfire preparedness and includes pilots and operational staff.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 19, 2026.

Eli Ridder, The Canadian Press



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Joint statement: Four years on from the Military Coup in Myanmar

    Joint statement: Four years on from the Military Coup in Myanmar January 31, 2025 – Ottawa, Ontario – Global Affairs Canada “Today marks 4 years since the Myanmar military regime…

    G7 Foreign Ministers’ statement on the escalation of violence in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo

    February 1, 2025 – Ottawa, Ontario – Global Affairs Canada “We, the G7 Foreign Ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    US Amateur golf: England’s Jack Whaley wins title and earns spot at 2027 Open, US Open and Masters

    US Amateur golf: England’s Jack Whaley wins title and earns spot at 2027 Open, US Open and Masters

    Here’s How Much A Boeing 787 Costs Compared To An Airbus A330neo

    Here’s How Much A Boeing 787 Costs Compared To An Airbus A330neo

    Ferrari’s first ever electric car sold for record $40m at auction

    Ferrari’s first ever electric car sold for record $40m at auction

    Joint statement: Four years on from the Military Coup in Myanmar

    Joint statement: Four years on from the Military Coup in Myanmar

    Blue Jays insert themselves into wild-card logjam with second straight win over the Yankees

    Blue Jays insert themselves into wild-card logjam with second straight win over the Yankees

    Hollywood makes dazzling comeback with $5 billion blockbusters this year

    Hollywood makes dazzling comeback with $5 billion blockbusters this year