LeBlanc says job ‘not yet done’ after meeting with Greer, Lutnick


Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc makes brief comments to reporters outside the U.S. Department of Commerce following a meeting with United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, in Washington, D.C., on Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Kelly Geraldine Malone – The Canadian Press

WASHINGTON — Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc left a high-stakes meeting in Washington on Monday saying the work will continue toward a deal to avoid a punishing new round of American tariffs.

“Our job is not yet done,” LeBlanc said, ducking into a car and avoiding reporters’ questions about how the talks are going and whether a deal is possible before the tariffs are set to take effect just after midnight on Wednesday.

LeBlanc and Janice Charette, the chief trade negotiator, sat down with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick on Monday. Greer left the nearly two-hour meeting without comment.

LeBlanc and Charette have been in Washington since last week and are hoping to carve out a deal that would halt those tariffs and provide relief on existing tariffs targeting industries such as steel, aluminum and lumber.

Lutnick’s addition to Monday’s meeting could serve as a sign that trade talks have included Trump’s separate sectoral tariffs on steel, aluminum and automobiles. Those duties in particular are under the purview of the U.S. Commerce Department.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said he expects to speak with U.S. President Donald Trump before the Wednesday deadline.

Speaking to reporters in St. John’s, Carney declined to say what he thinks a good deal would look like, but said in French that the federal government has a plan that “will cover all eventualities” if the latest round of tariffs are imposed.

He added that the negotiations “are very intense and delicate.”

Carney said when he gets the president on the phone, he planned to tell him about a new deal between Newfoundland and Labrador and Quebec that will see the provinces launch new hydro, wind and transmission projects worth some $50 billion, creating an estimated 23,000 jobs in the process.

It’s “the type of generational investment that gets everyone’s attention, even the president of the United States,” Carney said, adding he may even offer Trump a translation of the phrase “maîtres chez nous” — masters in our own home — calling it “a lesson.”

“And then we’ll have a good discussion about the opportunities together,” Carney said.

Talks between the two countries have intensified since Trump signed an executive order on July 20 to impose 50 per cent levies on a range of Canadian goods worth around $28 billion, including exports of honey, hockey sticks, cement and wine.

The Canadian Beekeepers Federation said Monday the tariff would be devastating, and would likely cause prices to crash and force farms into bankruptcy. As much as 60 per cent of Canadian honey exports go to the United States.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Newborn with heart condition at center of surrogacy legal fight has surgery

    A baby with a serious heart condition who was the center of a multi-state legal fight involving a surrogate who said she refused to terminate the pregnancy underwent surgery Monday,…

    OneCity: Easier, faster, cheaper to open Vancouver business

    Mayoral candidate William Azaroff: ‘There are so many Vancouverites with dreams, drive and ambition. They just don’t have the seed capital to get started, and we’re going to close that…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Judge blocks plan to move FBI headquarters to Reagan Building

    Judge blocks plan to move FBI headquarters to Reagan Building

    Newborn with heart condition at center of surrogacy legal fight has surgery

    Newborn with heart condition at center of surrogacy legal fight has surgery

    Reddit’s AI is turning posts into podcasts and short videos

    Reddit’s AI is turning posts into podcasts and short videos

    ‘We will not allow Gaza to be rebuilt’ until Hamas disarms, Kushner says | Israel-Palestine conflict News

    ‘We will not allow Gaza to be rebuilt’ until Hamas disarms, Kushner says | Israel-Palestine conflict News

    Judge blocks the Trump administration from moving FBI headquarters to DC office building

    Judge blocks the Trump administration from moving FBI headquarters to DC office building

    Demolition of Tumbler Ridge Secondary School is now underway

    Demolition of Tumbler Ridge Secondary School is now underway