Jury discharged at trial of men accused of murdering child abuser Ian Watkins | UK news


The jury in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering the paedophile Lostprophets frontman, Ian Watkins, has been discharged for legal reasons.

The disgraced singer was stabbed to death in his cell at high-security HMP Wakefield by Rico Gedel, 25. Watkins was serving a 29-year sentence for child sexual offences.

Leeds crown court heard that after walking out of the cell, Gedel handed the makeshift knife to his fellow prisoner Samuel Dodsworth, 44, who threw it in a bin.

Both defendants denied murdering Watkins and possessing a knife in prison.

On Friday the judge, Mr Justice Hilliard, discharged the jury, telling them: “Very reluctantly, I’m going to discharge you and the case will have to be retried.

“That’s disappointing for you and for everyone.”

Gedel told the trial he hated being housed with sex offenders at Wakefield and had threatened to hurt “any number of paedophiles” if he was not transferred.

He said he chose Watkins largely due to “proximity”, as he had been put in the cell next to him the night before, after being moved from another wing for assaulting three prisoners there.

Gedel said “part of him” wanted to kill Watkins, but another part did not, adding: “Sometimes what your heart wants is not what your brain wants.”

Prosecutors had said Gedel and Dodsworth were both guilty of murder because Dodsworth “knew the attack was going to happen” and assisted Gedel by disposing of the knife.

Dodsworth, who is serving a sentence for raping a woman, said he played no part in the attack and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He said Gedel handed the knife to him after emerging from Watkins’s cell, and he tried to give it back but ended up throwing it away after panicking at the sight of an injured Watkins.

Watkins was jailed for 29 years in December 2013, with a further six years on licence, after admitting a string of sex offences, including the attempted rape of a fan’s baby.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Toronto city council votes down asking Doug Ford for a referendum on Billy Bishop airport expansion

    The motion aimed to ask the province to add a referendum on the $5-billion Billy Bishop expansion to the Oct. 26 municipal ballot. Source link

    NASCAR legend Kyle Busch dead at 41 after ‘severe illness’: statement

    NASCAR star Kyle Busch, a two-time Cup series champion regarded as one of the sport’s greatest ever drivers, died Thursday aged 41, his family confirmed in a joint statement. Read…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    First vaccines, now mammograms? RFK Jr.’s latest firings have doctors outraged.

    First vaccines, now mammograms? RFK Jr.’s latest firings have doctors outraged.

    CBS Sports – News, Live Scores, Schedules, Fantasy Games, Video and more.

    CBS Sports – News, Live Scores, Schedules, Fantasy Games, Video and more.

    Toronto city council votes down asking Doug Ford for a referendum on Billy Bishop airport expansion

    Toronto city council votes down asking Doug Ford for a referendum on Billy Bishop airport expansion

    Every Cool Girl Is Wearing These Flip-Flop Color Trends

    Every Cool Girl Is Wearing These Flip-Flop Color Trends

    EU trade commissioner Maroš Šefčovič: ‘I tell our UK friends: we are not greedy’

    Pushed to the limit, Republicans show rare defiance to Trump’s demands

    Pushed to the limit, Republicans show rare defiance to Trump’s demands