ICE Agent Charged in Shooting of a Venezuelan Immigrant in Minnesota


State prosecutors on Monday charged a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent with assault in the January shooting of a Venezuelan immigrant in Minneapolis, an incident that sparked violent protests at the height of the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown.

The identity of the agent accused of firing the shot, Christian Castro, 52, had not been disclosed until Monday. Mr. Castro was charged with four counts of second-degree assault, a felony, and one count of falsely reporting a crime, a misdemeanor.

Officials with the Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to a request for comment. It was not immediately clear whether Mr. Castro had a lawyer.

A state investigation into the Jan. 14 shooting of the immigrant, Julio C. Sosa-Celis, had been stymied by the refusal of federal agencies to share information, including the names of the two agents involved in a chase that preceded the shooting.

Mr. Sosa-Celis, who was shot in the leg, was one of three people shot by federal agents during the immigration crackdown in Minnesota over the winter. Agents also shot and killed two U.S. citizens in Minneapolis, Renee Good and Alex Pretti.

The Trump administration said the crackdown, known as Operation Metro Surge, would root out illegal immigration and fraud amid insufficient cooperation from state and local officials. Minnesota’s Democratic leaders condemned the campaign as a constitutionally dubious occupation motivated by political animus. Federal judges expressed alarm about some of the administration’s actions.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    American doctor working in Congo tests positive for Ebola, CDC and aid group say

    An American doctor working with a medical missionary organization in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has a confirmed case of Ebola, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and…

    Ice cream sold in 17 states voluntarily recalled by company for possible metal fragments

    A California-based creamery has issued a voluntary recall on some of its ice cream due to the possible presence of metal fragments. Straus Family Creamery, headquartered in Petaluma, California, issued…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    NFL: Aaron Rodgers signs new one-year deal with Pittsburgh Steelers

    NFL: Aaron Rodgers signs new one-year deal with Pittsburgh Steelers

    Cuba says it has ‘legitimate’ right to defend itself amid US threats | Conflict News

    Cuba says it has ‘legitimate’ right to defend itself amid US threats | Conflict News

    Two women allege they were raped during filming of Married at First Sight UK | Channel 4

    Two women allege they were raped during filming of Married at First Sight UK | Channel 4

    Southwest Airlines’ Free Starlink WiFi Has 1 Major Catch In 2026

    Southwest Airlines’ Free Starlink WiFi Has 1 Major Catch In 2026

    How To Balance Being Online With Mindfully Logging Off

    How To Balance Being Online With Mindfully Logging Off

    Joint statement from foreign ministers condemning Democratic Republic of Korea-Russia cooperation

    Joint statement from foreign ministers condemning Democratic Republic of Korea-Russia cooperation