Gunmen abduct 39 students, 7 teachers in attacks on Nigeria schools | News


The attacks targeted a secondary school and two primary schools, as gunmen kidnapped children aged between two and 16.

Armed men abducted 39 students and seven ⁠teachers in an attack targeting several schools in Nigeria’s southwestern Oyo State last week, officials and a Christian association have said.

The attack took place on Friday in ⁠Ahoro Esinele community in Oriire district, targeting a secondary school and two primary schools, officials said on Monday.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

Elisha Olukayode Ogundiya, chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria in Oyo State, said 46 people, mostly children aged between two and 16 years, were taken away following the attacks.

In what police called a “coordinated attack”, armed men simultaneously raided Baptist Nursery and Primary in Yawota, and two other schools in Esiele, seizing pupils and teachers.

President Bola Tinubu condemned the attack as “barbaric”, while promising that the federal government was working with the Oyo State to “rescue all the victims”.

“We expect a breakthrough soon,” he said in a statement released by his office.

Governor Oluseyi Abiodun Makinde said one abducted teacher was killed on Sunday, ‌citing a video. Six suspects have been arrested, including alleged informants and logistics suppliers to the kidnappers, he added.

A joint rescue operation by soldiers, police and local vigilantes was disrupted after they encountered improvised explosive devices planted by the attackers, ⁠leaving several wounded, Makinde added. Those injured ⁠are receiving treatment, he said.

Mass ⁠kidnappings by armed groups have become a serious security challenge in Nigeria in recent years, with criminal gangs exploiting weak security to target travellers, students, and rural communities for cash payments. Schools are often targeted, although such ‌attacks ‌are rare in the southwest of the country.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Zambia elections: Top opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote

    Security forces in Zambia have seized weapons and arrested 11 people, including senior opposition figures, allegedly involved in an insurrection plot, the government has said. The leading opposition candidate in…

    FirstFT: Dimon warns UK against higher bank taxes

    Also in today’s newsletter: private credit doldrums and AI super-rich Source link

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Passage: In memoriam – CBS News

    Passage: In memoriam – CBS News

    Rasooli to lead new-look Afghanistan side in Asian Games 2026

    Rasooli to lead new-look Afghanistan side in Asian Games 2026

    Will King of the Hill Pit Hank And Buck Against Each Other?

    Will King of the Hill Pit Hank And Buck Against Each Other?

    Zambia elections: Top opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote

    Zambia elections: Top opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote

    Carney to make announcement in St. John’s with Quebec, N.L. premiers

    Carney to make announcement in St. John’s with Quebec, N.L. premiers

    International Petroleum Corporation Announces Results of Normal Course Issuer Bid