Experts locate bodies of four missing Italian divers inside Maldives cave | Maldives


Rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days after they were reported missing.

Searches had resumed after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them.

The government of the Indian Ocean island nation confirmed on Monday the bodies were spotted in the innermost part of the cave by three Finnish diving experts, supported by the Maldives police and the military.

“As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part,” said Ahmed Shaam, a Maldives government spokesperson.

He said the four were found “pretty much together”.

“The plan is they will try and recover two bodies tomorrow and possibly the other two the following day,” Shaam said in a voice clip sent to the media.

The body of a fifth Italian, a diving instructor, was found earlier outside the cave. The five were exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 metres (160ft) in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy’s foreign ministry. The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30 metres.

Three Finnish divers, experts in deep and cave diving arrived in the Maldives on Sunday.

The Maldives presidential spokesperson, Mohamed Hussain Shareef, said earlier that the search was suspended after Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldives National Defence Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday.

Rough weather has repeatedly hampered rescue efforts.

Initial teams had already dived to identify and mark the entrance to the cave system where the Italians disappeared. The cause of the deaths remains under investigation.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Shakira Is Found Not Guilty of Tax Fraud in Spain

    Spain’s national court announced on Monday that it had acquitted Shakira of tax fraud in a case more than a decade old, and ordered the country’s tax authorities to repay…

    Ebola, hantavirus: Is the world prepared for the next pandemic? | Health News

    The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared that an Ebola outbreak in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is a “public health emergency of international concern”, setting…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Mother and daughter describe terrifying tornado that leveled newly-built home

    Mother and daughter describe terrifying tornado that leveled newly-built home

    Judge rules some key evidence in Luigi Mangione state trial must be suppressed

    Judge rules some key evidence in Luigi Mangione state trial must be suppressed

    Our Editor’s Favorite Thing Is The Canopy Humidifer — Here’s Why

    Our Editor’s Favorite Thing Is The Canopy Humidifer — Here’s Why

    New York consul general’s former Park Avenue residence has sold – National

    New York consul general’s former Park Avenue residence has sold – National

    The Edit by Chase Travel: Benefits, perks and how it works

    The Edit by Chase Travel: Benefits, perks and how it works

    The best Memorial Day 2026 sales: Nine deals from from brands we know and trust | Life and style

    The best Memorial Day 2026 sales: Nine deals from from brands we know and trust | Life and style