Europe wildfires: Lecornu heckled over French emergency response


French Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu has been heckled on a visit to the area of the country worst hit by wildfires, as blazes continue to cause further deaths and evacuations across Europe.

About 200 people gathered at the town hall in Le Porge, south-western France, on Monday, where 183 homes burned down.

The organiser of a group of affected residents accused the prime minister of not wanting to meet them, while Lecornu’s office it has “nothing to hide” about how fire operations have been conducted, AFP reports.

The prime minister announced €12m (£10.3m) of aid for the Gironde and Landes regions, while the EU deployed assistance to Belgium and Spain.

Lecornu said the aid, of which €10m (£8.5m) will go to Gironde and €2m (£1.7m) to Landes, will allow local authorities to “launch projects without delay” and build “a sort of recovery plan”. He also announced building permits for the “equivalent reconstruction” of homes destroyed by the fires would be issued within a month, or even quicker.

Ludivine Daurignac, the organiser of the residents’ group, told the news agency the residents plan to file complaints to get “truth, transparency, and justice” and claimed they were blocked from meeting with the prime minister.

She said: “We were met by lines of riot police blocking our access.”

Another local told France’s BFM outlet: “We would like to know why the fire was managed this way. Why all the firefighters who were on site left to defend the tip of Ferret, while only the volunteer firefighters remained.”

Tens of thousands of people were evacuated from the Cap Ferret peninsula tourist spot west of Bordeaux last month as wildfires were spreading across Gironde.

Firefighters throughout the rest of Europe have been facing a series of blazes over the weekend, including officers in Belgium spending a fourth day beating back flames in the country’s largest nature reserve Hautes Fagnes.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Kushner Meets Netanyahu in Israel in Effort to Break Logjam Over Gaza

    Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and senior aide, met for several hours with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel in Jerusalem on Monday in an effort to break a logjam…

    ‘We will not allow Gaza to be rebuilt’ until Hamas disarms, Kushner says | Israel-Palestine conflict News

    Trump’s son-in-law and special envoy says the US will not ‘restrict Israel’s right to defend itself’ as strikes on Gaza continue. Published On 17 Aug 202617 Aug 2026 United States…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    YouTube Public View Counts Will Likely Get Higher Starting Next Week

    YouTube Public View Counts Will Likely Get Higher Starting Next Week

    Air Canada Finalizes Terms of $800 Million Substantial Issuer Bid

    Ontario teachers to start school year without contract

    Ontario teachers to start school year without contract

    Nick Reiner has spent some of his family money on murder defense, lawyers say

    Nick Reiner has spent some of his family money on murder defense, lawyers say

    Rams not looking to rush WR Puka Nacua, DE Myles Garrett back to practice

    Rams not looking to rush WR Puka Nacua, DE Myles Garrett back to practice

    The Mid-Size Florida Hub Betting $1.5 Billion That Delta Air Lines Will Turn It Into An International Gateway

    The Mid-Size Florida Hub Betting $1.5 Billion That Delta Air Lines Will Turn It Into An International Gateway