England Women’s U20s World Cup squad named amid boycott threat


Manager Lydia Bedford has named her England squad for the upcoming Fifa U20s Women’s World Cup amid ongoing threat of a boycott from European nations.

There have been calls for Fifa president Gianni Infantino to resign following the controversy over the Fifa Forward Enterprise (FFE) proposal.

It was aborted after widespread criticism from several confederations, led by Uefa, which has threatened a boycott of all Fifa competitions.

FFE would have meant a new company being created to manage commercial and ticketing rights of all Fifa competitions, including the World Cups, with 21% sold off to a private investment company.

The next upcoming Fifa tournament – therefore the first under threat of a boycott – is the U20s Women’s World Cup, taking place in Poland from 5 to 27 September.

Speaking to BBC Sport after England had won a warm-up game in Portugal, Bedford spoke for the first time about the potential boycott.

“I was actually at the theatre in London when my dad rang me out of the blue and I was like ‘what’s happening?’ From my perspective the message from leadership all along has been ‘just continue as usual’ so we have,” she said.

“It’s not something we’ve really even spoken to the players about because ultimately every opportunity we have to get on the grass and prepare this team we want to be in the best position possible. So all focus has been on that.”

England are one of six nations from Europe taking part in the 24-team tournament alongside France, Italy, Spain, Portugal and hosts Poland.

The young Lionesses have been drawn in Group B with Brazil, Tanzania and Canada, who they face in their opening match on Saturday, 5 September (17:00 BST).

Italy, Portugal and Poland are expected to name their squads next week, while Spain announced theirs on Thursday. France have not confirmed a date.

Bedford has named a 21-player squad to represent England, which includes North Carolina Courage midfielder Erica Meg Parkinson, who received a surprise call-up to the senior squad in March.

“It’s an incredibly exciting moment to name the squad and a huge achievement for every player selected,” said Bedford.

“We know the level of competition in Poland will be extremely high but we’re excited by the prospect of the challenge.

“For the 21 players selected, the focus now is on making the most of this opportunity, representing England with pride, and seeing how far we can go.”

The top two sides from each group will automatically progress to the last 16, while the best four third-placed sides will also make it through.

The final will be hosted in Lodz on Sunday, 27 September.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Bengals-Bears takeaways: Joe Burrow scuffles, defense smothers Caleb Williams

    CINCINNATI — Beating up on your younger brother is always fun, so Zac Taylor was probably thrilled with how things unfolded Thursday during Cincinnati’s joint practice with Chicago.  The Bengals…

    10 college football teams poised to disappoint this season

    Last year’s college football season included several surprises, headlined by James Madison qualifying for the College Football Playoff. Texas A&M, Houston and Navy also had resurgent seasons that put them…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Bengals-Bears takeaways: Joe Burrow scuffles, defense smothers Caleb Williams

    Bengals-Bears takeaways: Joe Burrow scuffles, defense smothers Caleb Williams

    Statement by Prime Minister Carney on ongoing Canada-U.S. trade negotiations

    Statement by Prime Minister Carney on ongoing Canada-U.S. trade negotiations

    B.C.’s land management decisions led to catastrophic flood, claims suit

    B.C.’s land management decisions led to catastrophic flood, claims suit

    The Download: threats from space mirrors and credit for AI drugs

    The Download: threats from space mirrors and credit for AI drugs

    Danielle Deadwyler to Star in New ‘X-Files’ Reboot

    Danielle Deadwyler to Star in New ‘X-Files’ Reboot

    How Harvard’s Epic Fight With Trump Is Costing the University

    How Harvard’s Epic Fight With Trump Is Costing the University