ECB announces exiled Afghanistan women to tour England during T20 World Cup


The Afghan Refugee Women’s Team will start their tour on June 22, incorporating training opportunities and T20 matches, hosted by the ECB with support from the MCC and MCC Foundation and sports consultancy It’s Game On.

In November 2020, the Afghanistan Cricket Board held a women’s cricket trial in Kabul and agreed to contract 25 women’s players. But, nine months later, the Taliban takeover in Afghanistan meant women and girls were banned from most areas of public life, including sport.

The majority of the cricketers now live in Australia and while their efforts to be recognised by the ICC as the Afghanistan Womens’ team while in exile have so far failed, they have played as an Afghanistan Women’s XI against a Cricket Without Borders side during the 2025 Women’s Ashes in Australia.

Despite their displacement, a number of the players have remained committed to playing cricket and this latest trip will give them a chance to compete together as a team while raising awareness of their plight.

Mel Jones, the former Australia player turned commentator, who set up It’s Game On with Emma Staples, Cricket Victoria’s Head of Diversity, and consultant Dr Catherine Ordway, said the tour was a major step forward, but also highlighted the amount of work yet to be done in supporting displaced and under-represented female athletes.

“These players have shown extraordinary courage and commitment to the game, despite everything that has been taken from them,” Jones said. “They deserve more opportunities like this; they deserve to be recognised as part of the global cricket community. Moments like this matter, but we need to see plans for sustained and meaningful action beyond this year.”

Clare Connor, ECB Deputy CEO and Managing Director of England Women, said: “Since being displaced from Afghanistan in 2021, these players have shown extraordinary resilience in continuing their cricket journeys, in incredibly challenging circumstances.

“Cricket has a responsibility to stand for inclusion and opportunity, and we are proud to be hosting this tour and supporting the players in deepening their connection to the game.”

Valkerie Baynes is a general editor, women’s cricket, at ESPNcricinfo



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Nascar legend Kyle Busch dies aged 41

    “A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation,” the statement reads. “He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely…

    Sources: Rams’ Matthew Stafford lands 1-year, $55M extension

    Reigning NFL MVP Matthew Stafford and the Los Angeles Rams reached agreement Thursday on a one-year, $55 million extension, sources told ESPN. The deal for the star quarterback can rise…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Waymo expands pause to four cities as robotaxis keep driving into floods

    Waymo expands pause to four cities as robotaxis keep driving into floods

    Majid Al Futtaim to close THAT Concept Store at Mall of the Emirates

    Majid Al Futtaim to close THAT Concept Store at Mall of the Emirates

    Manitoba politician calls Saskatchewan farmer who killed Colten Boushie a victim – Winnipeg

    Manitoba politician calls Saskatchewan farmer who killed Colten Boushie a victim – Winnipeg

    Nascar legend Kyle Busch dies aged 41

    Nascar legend Kyle Busch dies aged 41

    Trump faces GOP resistance on compensation fund, ballroom money

    Trump faces GOP resistance on compensation fund, ballroom money

    Sega’s Crazy Taxi Revival Shows Signs Of Life In New Five-Second Teaser

    Sega’s Crazy Taxi Revival Shows Signs Of Life In New Five-Second Teaser