DR Congo will not change World Cup preparations despite US Ebola warning | World Cup 2026 News


World Cup cohosts United States have warned the Democratic Republic of the Congo team to isolate due to Ebola fears.

The Democratic Republic of the Congo ‌(DRC) have no plans to change their preparations for the 2026 World Cup, despite ⁠a warning from the ⁠United States that the team must isolate for 21 days before arriving in the country, a team official has said.

Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the ⁠White House Task Force for the World Cup, confirmed on Friday that the Congolese delegation needed to maintain a bubble where they are training in Belgium and isolate ⁠for 21 days or risk being denied entry after a deadly outbreak of the Ebola virus in the central African country.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

The Congolese team are to be based in Houston at the tournament and will play an opening Group K fixture against Portugal on June 17, followed by matches against ‌Colombia on June 23 in Guadalajara, Mexico, and against Uzbekistan on June 27 in Atlanta.

“We’ve been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11,” Giuliani told ESPN on Saturday.

“We’ve made it very clear to the Congo government as well that they need to maintain that bubble, or they risk not being able to travel to the United ⁠States. We cannot be any clearer.”

But a team spokesperson said that at ⁠this stage there was no change to their schedule, which includes a friendly against Denmark in Liege, Belgium, on June 3 and another against Chile in Cadiz, Spain, six days later.

“We have kept our training programme. No ⁠player in the squad has come from DR Congo,” the official said.

The entire squad of players are based outside the DRC, mostly ⁠in Europe, including coach Sebastien Desabre. A few team officials ⁠arrived at the training camp in Belgium from the DRC earlier this week.

The team had planned a three-day trip to Kinshasa next week as a celebratory send-off before they head to their first World Cup in 52 years, but ‌that trip has been cancelled.

The World Health Organization on Friday raised to “very high” the risk of the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola turning into a national outbreak in the DRC ‌and ‌has declared the outbreak there and in neighbouring Uganda an emergency of international concern.

Nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths have been recorded following the outbreak in DRC.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Extra EU border checks suspended at Dover as travellers face delays in heat | Transport

    French police have temporarily suspended extra EU border checks at the port of Dover as thousands of holidaymakers faced long delays in the hot weather. Wait times of more than…

    Iran Meets Mediators for Talks as Cease-Fire Hangs in Balance

    The cease-fire between Iran and the United States hung in the balance on Saturday, as Iranian leaders met with Pakistani mediators for rounds of talks in an effort to stave…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    How Shakespeare became the ultimate rock star in Ontario's big summer musicals

    How Shakespeare became the ultimate rock star in Ontario's big summer musicals

    Anthropic Says Mythos Has Already Found More Than 10,000 Vulnerabilities

    Anthropic Says Mythos Has Already Found More Than 10,000 Vulnerabilities

    Quentin Bisch, the Nose Behind Delina, Good Girl Talks Creative Inspiration

    Quentin Bisch, the Nose Behind Delina, Good Girl Talks Creative Inspiration

    Monopoly: Star Wars Heroes Vs. Villains Brings A Galactic Showdown To Switch 1 & 2 This June

    Monopoly: Star Wars Heroes Vs. Villains Brings A Galactic Showdown To Switch 1 & 2 This June

    Canada marks four years since the fall of Afghanistan to the Taliban

    Canada marks four years since the fall of Afghanistan to the Taliban

    Ukrainian drone attack triggers fire at a Russian oil terminal

    Ukrainian drone attack triggers fire at a Russian oil terminal