Dodgers president shuts down sale talk after Mark Walter’s Lakers deal


LOS ANGELES — Dodgers president Stan Kasten attempted to calm online speculation about the future of the franchise under billionaire owner Mark Walter on Friday.

“The Dodgers are not being sold. They’re not for sale. There’s no process that has been started to sell it, period,” he told reporters on the field before the team’s game against Pittsburgh. “We are planning only to win.”

The conjecture began earlier this month when Walter agreed to a stunning sale of the Los Angeles Lakers to businessmen Josh Kushner and Bob Iger for a record-breaking price of $12.5 billion, according to multiple ESPN sources. Walter bought a controlling stake in the franchise from the Buss family last year.

“I can’t tell you how important the Dodgers are to Mark,” Kasten said. “The Lakers thing? The Lakers were important to him, too, but it’s kind of an extraordinary opportunity, which he took.”

Multiple media outlets last month reported that Walter’s business empire is under scrutiny from federal prosecutors and the Securities and Exchange Commission in tax fraud investigations. Walter is cooperating with the investigation.

“I know nothing involving the Dodgers is part of the investigation,” Kasten said, declining to go into specifics.

The 66-year-old Walter is based in Chicago, where he is CEO of Guggenheim Partners. He has overseen a run of success for the Dodgers that includes three World Series championships in six seasons and a penchant for lavishing big-money contracts on players such as four-time MVP Shohei Ohtani.

“I think Mark has done an extraordinary job as an owner,” Kasten said, “and all he’s ever cared about is providing the best experience in order to make us more money, to make this project successful. I think so far it has been; I expect that to continue far into the future.”

Kasten also said Walter is not exploring any sales of his other sports properties, which include the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks, the Professional Women’s Hockey League and TWG Motorsports.

Walter typically shuns the spotlight, preferring to stay behind the scenes and have Kasten or other team executives make public statements.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    AUS vs BAN 2nd Test – Najmul Hossain Shanto hopes to ‘do it’ in South Africa after Darwin conquest

    Bangladesh winning Test matches in New Zealand and Australia in the last five years is a huge step forward for the team, according to captain Najmul Hossain Shanto. He believes…

    Fantasy football rankings 2026: Sleepers, breakouts, busts via model that called Daniel Jones’ huge year

    Week 2 of the NFL preseason is wrapping up as there’s only one game on Sunday, and the Fantasy football ADP continues to solidify for what is another big Fantasy…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Millions facing powerful storms, severe heat across U.S.

    Millions facing powerful storms, severe heat across U.S.

    AUS vs BAN 2nd Test – Najmul Hossain Shanto hopes to ‘do it’ in South Africa after Darwin conquest

    AUS vs BAN 2nd Test – Najmul Hossain Shanto hopes to ‘do it’ in South Africa after Darwin conquest

    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4’s first beta patch adds a new map and mode, as Infinity Ward responds to complaints about footstep noise and weapon lethality

    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4’s first beta patch adds a new map and mode, as Infinity Ward responds to complaints about footstep noise and weapon lethality

    What’s the Best Kindle of 2026? (So Far)

    What’s the Best Kindle of 2026? (So Far)

    Why Canadians don’t ride trains anymore

    Why Canadians don’t ride trains anymore

    Here’s why the Bank of Canada is worried about the rise of private credit

    Here’s why the Bank of Canada is worried about the rise of private credit