Community voices frustration as Burnaby hospital expansion project is put on hold


BURNABY — Dozens of protesters carrying placards gathered in a park in Burnaby, B.C., to rally against the provincial government’s cancellation of a construction contract for a hospital expansion in the city.

Premier David Eby said earlier in May that plans for the Burnaby Hospital expansion aren’t dead despite the provincial government’s announcement that the contract had been cancelled.

Phase 2 of the hospital expansion project was slated to add 160 beds and a cancer care centre, but it has become one of several projects that the province placed on hold in its 2026 budget.

David Xie, spokesman for Buranby neighbourhood watch, says despite Burnaby being the third largest city in B.C., residents don’t have a “fully-functioning modern hospital,” forcing many locals to travel to other cities for their health-care needs.

For instance, Xie says his family experienced an emergency last year, when his son hit his head, which wouldn’t stop bleeding, and the Burnaby Hospital’s waiting time was the longest compared to other hospitals, forcing him to drive to a different city for care.

But Xie says many families in Burnaby don’t have cars, and having more beds can address many local patients’ urgent needs.

Infrastructure Minister Bowinn Ma said early in May that the projects were “re-paced or rescheduled” since they needed more work before they could proceed to construction.

Langley-Walnut Grove MLA Misty Van Popta, who is also the shadow critic for infrastructure, says it was recently discovered that the project wasn’t only placed on hold, but the province had also cancelled all associated contracts.

Popta says Burnaby is one of the lowest-funded hospitals in the province, and the “particular cut to the budget should not have ever taken place.”

The B.C. government announced during the budget in February that it would slow down several health construction projects as it struggled with a deficit projected to balloon to $13.3 billion.

Ma said in a statement on Sunday that she wants to assure people the project remains within the province’s capital plan and will move forward.

Xie says residents deserve to have more clarity on when the project will proceed.

Popta says she understands the province’s stance is that the project isn’t cancelled, instead, it’s being re-paced.

“But re-pacing would indicate that there’s an associated timeline to start, and there isn’t, and so when you cancel contracts and there’s no restart date, you are cancelling a project. It is now back to just being a concept,” said Popta.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    USS Lincoln heads home after extended deployment to the Middle East

    The USS Abraham Lincoln is on its way back home following an extended nine-month deployment, a U.S. official told NBC News on Thursday. The U.S. official said the ship has…

    First Trust Portfolios Canada Announces Cap, Buffer and Dates of First Trust Vest U.S. Equity Buffer ETF – August

    About First Trust First Trust Canada is the trustee, manager and promoter of the fund. First Trust Canada and its affiliates First Trust Advisors L.P. (“FTA”), portfolio advisor to the…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Trump administration deports immigrants to dangerous Central African Republic

    Trump administration deports immigrants to dangerous Central African Republic

    Woven Together: A Poetic Journey through the Cosmos

    USS Lincoln heads home after extended deployment to the Middle East

    USS Lincoln heads home after extended deployment to the Middle East

    Just another day in the time of the great derangement

    HoverAir’s transforming modular drone has already been halted in the US

    HoverAir’s transforming modular drone has already been halted in the US

    Replica of PWHL’s championship trophy missing, league says

    Replica of PWHL’s championship trophy missing, league says