CBS backs off effort to stop sharing of Colbert’s surprise ‘Only in Monroe’ segment amid backlash


CBS said it had issued copyright notices for a recent episode featuring a surprise appearance by Stephen Colbert on the show “Only in Monroe” per its regular practice, but would stop issuing takedown notices pending further review.

The decision comes after online criticism of the company and follows Colbert’s final star-studded “The Late Show” episode on CBS. A day after the Thursday finale, Colbert returned to late-night television on “Only in Monroe,” a public access program in Monroe, Michigan — the same show he appeared on in 2015 before his “Late Show” debut.

Social media criticism against CBS’ parent company, Paramount, mounted after people seeking to upload copies of the episode were issued copyright takedown notices, in a move a CBS spokesperson said was “regular practice.”

Journalist Matthew Keys on Saturday accused Paramount of “apparently trying to suppress” copies of the episode from appearing on other social media platforms “even though the show was produced by a public access TV channel.” Keys posted on X on Sunday that Paramount rescinded the copyright claim.

A CBS spokesperson said in a statement that the “Only in Monroe” episode featuring Colbert was “financed and produced by CBS Studios and was posted on Stephen Colbert’s YouTube channel in collaboration with Monroe Community Media and ‘The Late Show’s’ YouTube channels.”

“As is our regular practice, we send copyright notices to unauthorized websites that post copyrighted content from CBS and our network/studio talent such as Stephen Colbert,” the statement said.

The spokesperson said that CBS has decided “to waive further enforcement of this standard industry practice until additional review.”

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
Colbert on the CBS series “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.”Scott Kowalchyk / CBS via Getty Images

Paramount-owned CBS announced in July that it was canceling “The Late Show,” which had run for 33 years, drawing criticism from people who accused it of yielding to political pressure. The news came as the network sought the Trump administration’s approval for its $8 billion merger with Skydance.

Colbert had been a vocal critic of President Donald Trump and his administration on the late-night show. CBS has said the decision to cancel the show was purely financial amid challenges with the late-night market.

During his farewell monologue, Colbert hinted at his upcoming appearance on “Only in Monroe.”

“Tonight is our final broadcast from the Ed Sullivan Theater,” he said, prompting boos from the audience.

“No, no, we were lucky enough to be here for the last 11 years, all right? Can’t take this for granted,” he added. “Though technically our first show in July of 2015 was from a public access station in Monroe, Michigan, for an audience of 12 people. Show business being what it is these days, that’s probably where you’ll see me next.”



Source link

  • Related Posts

    From business leaders to sports fans, Canada responds to trade war escalation

    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Mark Carney’s decision to suspend trade talks with the United States is garnering support from Canadian political, business and industry leaders, while seemingly perturbing the American…

    Vietnam approves customs law changes to strengthen IP enforcement

    Aug 23 (Reuters) – – Vietnam’s National Assembly on Sunday approved amendments to the customs law that strengthen customs powers to intercept ‌counterfeit and intellectual property-infringing goods, a move that…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Is Expensive Bottled Water Actually Better for You?

    Is Expensive Bottled Water Actually Better for You?

    Fuel Emergency As 20+ Flights Divert Or Hold After Man Breaches Manchester Airport

    Fuel Emergency As 20+ Flights Divert Or Hold After Man Breaches Manchester Airport

    The Best PC Gaming Collaborations in 2026

    The Best PC Gaming Collaborations in 2026

    Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test as Starc takes 10 wickets

    Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test as Starc takes 10 wickets

    Nike Promo Codes and Discounts: 30% for August 2026

    Nike Promo Codes and Discounts: 30% for August 2026

    Global Affairs Canada releases Canada’s Annual Consular Data Report – 2024 to 2025

    Global Affairs Canada releases Canada’s Annual Consular Data Report – 2024 to 2025