Calls mount for independent investigation into alleged Montreal police racism


MONTREAL — Quebec politicians are calling on the provincial government for an independent investigation into allegations of discrimination and racism by a group of Montreal police officers.

Montreal Mayor Soraya Martinez Ferrada joined with the head of the Official Opposition at City Hall to call for an inquiry into the officers stationed in the Montréal-Nord borough.

The police announced Friday they had dismantled a night patrol unit and removed 16 officers from patrol duties amid allegations of racial profiling and discrimination.

Police said two officers were suspended and are being investigated for potential Criminal Code violations, while the rest have been reassigned to tasks that aren’t public facing.

The Quebec Liberal Party has said Montreal police should not investigate its own officers, and wants the province’s domestic security minister to ask Quebec provincial police to step in.

Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette told Radio-Canada she isn’t ruling out a public inquiry but wants more information before deciding on the next steps.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 15, 2026.

Morgan Lowrie, The Canadian Press




Source link

  • Related Posts

    Statement by ministers Joly and Hussen on International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women

    November 25, 2024 – Ottawa, Ontario – Global Affairs Canada The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and the Honourable Ahmed Hussen, Minister of International Development, today issued the…

    Judge blocks the Trump administration from moving FBI headquarters to DC office building

    A U.S. judge on Monday blocked plans to move the FBI’s headquarters to a federal office building in Washington, finding that President Donald Trump’s administration illegally tossed out a previously…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Supreme Court rejects final Trump appeal of $5 million E. Jean Carroll verdict

    Supreme Court rejects final Trump appeal of $5 million E. Jean Carroll verdict

    YouTube Public View Counts Will Likely Get Higher Starting Next Week

    YouTube Public View Counts Will Likely Get Higher Starting Next Week

    Air Canada Finalizes Terms of $800 Million Substantial Issuer Bid

    Ontario teachers to start school year without contract

    Ontario teachers to start school year without contract

    Nick Reiner has spent some of his family money on murder defense, lawyers say

    Nick Reiner has spent some of his family money on murder defense, lawyers say

    Rams not looking to rush WR Puka Nacua, DE Myles Garrett back to practice

    Rams not looking to rush WR Puka Nacua, DE Myles Garrett back to practice