EDMONTON — Two of Alberta Premier Danielle Smith’s longtime cabinet ministers are stepping down.
In letters posted on social media Wednesday, Finance Minister Nate Horner and Hospitals Minister Matt Jones both said they are leaving their posts after deciding not to seek re-election in the October 2027 general election.
“When the premier offered me this cabinet role, I told her it was likely that my second term would be my last,” Horner said in his letter.
“In discussing my plans with the premier, we both felt it was important for the election-year budget to be built by a member of cabinet who will be running for re-election.”
Jones, in his letter, said he asked to step back so that an “orderly transition” could take place ahead of the 2027 vote.
Horner and Jones say they remain supportive of Smith and the United Conservatives. They said they will continue to serve as backbenchers until the election is called.
“I am proud of our government’s work to restore the Alberta advantage by lowering taxes, reducing red tape, and championing Alberta’s innovative and entrepreneurial industries and world-class energy sector,” Jones said.
Smith thanked the ministers for their service Wednesday, saying on social media that both accomplished plenty in their respective roles.
Horner and Jones were first elected in 2019 when the United Conservatives and former premier Jason Kenney took power from the NDP.
Kenney appointed both Horner and Jones to his own cabinet in the later part of his tenure, with Horner serving as agriculture minister while Jones oversaw children’s services.
When Smith won the party leadership contest in 2022 to replace Kenney, she kept Horner in agriculture but moved Jones to the affordability and utilities portfolio.
After the spring 2023 election, Horner was shifted to finance, a role he had kept since. Jones had three separate ministry appointments in the years since, including stints in affordability and utilities, as well as jobs, economy and trade. He was also Alberta’s first minister in charge of hospitals, a portfolio created last year as part of Smith’s massive health-care restructuring that split the health portfolio into four.
As minister of hospital and surgical health services, Jones has been tasked with managing overburdened emergency rooms, especially in the two major cities.
Late last year, a 44-year-old man died in an Edmonton hospital after waiting nearly eight hours for care.
Jones, in January, called a fatality inquiry into the matter. He also promised to create a new physician triage role in hospitals to prevent similar deaths, but the government has found itself at odds with the provincial doctors association over compensation and the role still hasn’t been put in place.






