Supreme Court again rejects Trump’s bid to overturn E Jean Carroll sex abuse case


For a second time, the US Supreme Court has declined President Donald Trump’s bid to overturn a federal civil jury verdict that found him liable for sexually abusing and defaming writer E Jean Carroll.

In June, the top court had already denied a prior attempt by Trump to review the civil case.

The president has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and argued that the judge who oversaw the civil trial improperly allowed evidence to be presented that affected the jury’s perceptions of him.

In July, he paid Carroll more than $5m (£3.6m) in damages over her civil claim that Trump sexually assaulted her in the 1990s, and then branded the incident a hoax on social media.

Following the decision, Carroll thanked her legal team and her supporters for standing behind her in the case.

“One old lady can not make a difference,” she wrote in a newsletter sent out on Monday. “But when that old lady has a team of the most brilliant attorneys in America, and when that old lady has the support of women around the world, that old lady can do the impossible.”

Her attorney, Roberta Kaplan, said the jury’s verdict that Donald Trump sexually assaulted and then defamed E. Jean Carroll “is now final and cannot be challenged in any court”.

The court’s decision was posted as part of an order list on Monday, but offered no explanation for why the justices declined to rehear the case.

Legal experts said that Trump’s request to reconsider its previous June rejection was an unusual long-shot legal manoeuver, as the court rarely grants similar requests.

Carroll, a former magazine columnist who is now 82, sued Trump for attacking her in a Manhattan department store dressing room in the mid-1990s.

The defamation stemmed from a 2022 post on Truth Social in which he denied the claims and said Carroll was “not my type”.

Trump has yet to comment on the court’s latest decision to not rehear the case.

In a lengthy Truth Social post following the earlier decision in June, Trump vowed to continue battling what he termed the “weaponisation and lawfare case” and the “ridiculous” claim of defamation.

“This Case is really against the United States of America, and all it stands for, and should never be allowed to happen to another President, or Candidate to be,” he added.

In the initial petition to the Supreme Court, Trump’s lawyers argued that Carroll’s lawyers should not have let jurors see now infamous Access Hollywood footage from 2005 in which he used crude language as he discussed groping and kissing women.

Trump has also asked the Supreme Court to overturn a separate federal civil defamation verdict awarding Carroll $83.3m.

His lawyers have argued that Trump cannot be sued for comments he made while he was president.

The top court has not made a decision in that case.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Mushroom murderer Erin Patterson is appealing – here’s what you need to know

    Patterson won’t be attending the appeal in person. She’s chosen to appear via video link from Dame Phyllis Frost Centre, the maximum security prison on the outskirts of Melbourne where…

    Mark Carney in last-ditch effort to avoid Trump’s latest tariffs

    Canadian prime minister plans call with US president before a Wednesday deadline for levies on $20bn of trade Source link

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    What Is El Niño? Here’s What It Means for Weather, Water, and Global Economy

    What Is El Niño? Here’s What It Means for Weather, Water, and Global Economy

    House ethics panel says it’s investigating Rep. Jimmy Gomez over allegation of ‘sexual misconduct’

    House ethics panel says it’s investigating Rep. Jimmy Gomez over allegation of ‘sexual misconduct’

    Mushroom murderer Erin Patterson is appealing – here’s what you need to know

    Mushroom murderer Erin Patterson is appealing – here’s what you need to know

    Canada hosts meeting of Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership Commission, advancing key priorities to grow and support free, open and rules-based trade

    Alberta government misses treaty anniversary event

    Alberta government misses treaty anniversary event

    Humanoid Robots Now Banned On All 3 Major US Airlines As American Follows United & Delta

    Humanoid Robots Now Banned On All 3 Major US Airlines As American Follows United & Delta