M.I.A. sues Kid Cudi after being dropped from tour, says she was fired for ‘publicity’ amid poor ticket sales


British rapper M.I.A. filed a multi-million-dollar lawsuit last week against Kid Cudi, accusing him of dropping her from his tour “to generate publicity” for shows that’ve “struggled with ticket sales.”

Kid Cudi, whose legal name is Scott Mescudi, announced after a show in Dallas last month that the “Paper Planes” rapper would no longer appear on the “Rebel Ragers” tour because of her “offensive remarks that” had upset fans.

But in a federal lawsuit filed in Los Angeles on Friday, M.I.A. — whose legal name is Mathangi Arulpragasam — said Kid Cudi had disingenuously “portrayed himself as an aggrieved headliner forced to protect his fans from an out-of-control support act.”

“Here is the truth. M.I.A. was terminated to generate publicity for the Tour, which has struggled with ticket sales,” according to the civil complaint filed on Friday by her attorney, Howard King.

“She was contractually allowed to say whatever she wanted on stage. M.I.A. now holds Kid Cudi accountable for his bad faith destruction of her contractual rights, business opportunities, and reputation,” the complaint said.

M.I.A. claimed Kid Cudi directed tour promoter Live Nation to fire her, though the company is not a defendant in this lawsuit.

In a viral video of her May 2 performance at the Dos Equis Pavilion shared by the artist herself, M.I.A. called herself “illegal” and said some in the audience “might be,” and the caption with the video said she referred to herself as a Republican.

In earlier shows on the tour, M.I.A. had spoken in support of Palestinian refugees and against ongoing policing actions by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the lawsuit claimed.

M.I.A. has also previously expressed support for the Trump administration.

“During her performances on the Tour, M.I.A. made comments that were consistent with her public persona and prior performances,” according to King.

“Before M.I.A. agreed to join the Tour, Kid Cudi was aware of M.I.A.’s politically vocal reputation and her stances on immigration and genocide.”

A representative for Kid Cudi could not be immediately reached for comment on Monday.

M.I.A. claims she’s owed $2.8 million for the performances she agreed to do for the tour in addition to punitive damages.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    CeeDee Lamb’s home burglarized for $300K in property while Dallas Cowboys star was at training camp

    Dallas Cowboys wide receiver CeeDee Lamb’s Texas home was burglarized in late July, and $300,000 worth of property was stolen while he was at training camp, police said. It’s the…

    Bitcoin’s Rally Leans on Fears That Fiscal Strains Are Mounting

    (Bloomberg) — Crypto’s true believers suddenly have a spring in their step again. Most Read from Bloomberg Just days ago, Bitcoin still looked trapped in a market that had spent…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Today’s NYT Strands Hints, Answers and Help for Aug. 24, #904

    Today’s NYT Strands Hints, Answers and Help for Aug. 24, #904

    The Rolls-Royce Engine Fix That Saves Airlines $450,000 Per Aircraft Every Year

    The Rolls-Royce Engine Fix That Saves Airlines $450,000 Per Aircraft Every Year

    Dae’Quan Wright enters transfer portal: Browns TE, ex-Ole Miss star eyeing college football return

    Dae’Quan Wright enters transfer portal: Browns TE, ex-Ole Miss star eyeing college football return

    Canada strengthens international cooperation and trade opportunities during Secretary of State Sarai’s visit to the Philippines

    Trump admin moves to allow logging and construction in national forests

    Trump admin moves to allow logging and construction in national forests

    The 7 Most-Anticipated Games at Gamescom 2026, the Show’s Biggest Year Yet

    The 7 Most-Anticipated Games at Gamescom 2026, the Show’s Biggest Year Yet