What we know and don’t know about the emerging deal to end the Iran war


CAIRO (AP) — The United States and Iran appear to be closing in on a deal to end the war and open the Strait of Hormuz. U.S. President Donald Trump said Monday that negotiations are “proceeding nicely,” while reiterating his warning that fighting would resume if no deal is reached.

It is not clear when or how the deal might be finalized and when its various parts will take effect. Details come from two regional officials and a U.S. official who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive negotiations.

An Iranian delegation led by parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf traveled to Qatar on Monday as part of talks, though it wasn’t immediately clear what would be discussed. Qalibaf led historic face-to-face talks with Vice President JD Vance in Pakistan last month.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman, Esmail Baghaei, said that while understandings have been reached on “a large portion of the issues,” there was still work to be done. “To say that this means an agreement is on the verge of being signed is not something anyone can claim,” he told reporters.

Here’s what we know and don’t know:

The war would end

In the 12 weeks since the U.S. and Israel launched the war with attacks that killed Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and other top officials, Tehran has insisted that any deal focus on ending the fighting on all fronts. That includes Lebanon, where the Iranian-backed Hezbollah militant group has been fighting Israel since two days into the war.

A fragile ceasefire has held since April 7, despite occasional drone and missile attacks on the United Arab Emirates and some exchanges of fire in the Strait of Hormuz. A more permanent truce would allow for global shipping, including an estimated 20% of the world’s oil, to begin flowing through the strait again. It also would allow the rebuilding of energy and other infrastructure in the region.

Both regional officials said the draft deal includes an end to the war between Israel and Hezbollah, as well as a commitment to not interfere in the domestic affairs of countries in the region. That’s a reference to Iran’s support for proxies, including Houthi rebels in Yemen, Hamas militants in Gaza and Shiite armed groups in Iraq.

The U.S. wants Israel to have a free hand to respond to what they view as threats in Lebanon, while Iran rejects it, one regional official said. The U.S. official said the deal would guarantee Israel’s right to act against imminent threats in self-defense.

The Strait of Hormuz would reopen gradually

The stated objectives of the U.S. and Israel were to dismantle Iran’s nuclear program, curb its missile program and end its support for armed proxies.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

    United States President Donald Trump looks towards Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney as they raise their glasses during a toast at a working dinner in Gyeongju, South Korea on Wednesday,…

    Demolition company sues Lake Okanagan Resort

    An Alberta-based demolition firm seeks $250K in unpaid bills for wildfire cleanup A demolition company based in Alberta has filed a lawsuit against the owners of Lake Okanagan Resort, three…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Hoka Coupon Codes: 30% Off in August 2026

    Hoka Coupon Codes: 30% Off in August 2026

    NFL preseason Week 2 winners, losers: Bo Nix shines, Fernando Mendoza stumbles

    NFL preseason Week 2 winners, losers: Bo Nix shines, Fernando Mendoza stumbles

    5 Times Disney’s Sci-Fi Ambitions Crashed and Burned at the Box Office

    5 Times Disney’s Sci-Fi Ambitions Crashed and Burned at the Box Office

    Canada Gazette – Part I, August 16, 2025, volume 159, number 33

    Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

    Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

    Judge Strikes Down Trump’s 75-Country Visa Ban

    Judge Strikes Down Trump’s 75-Country Visa Ban