Union for hundreds of Metro Vancouver workers announce ban on overtime work



VANCOUVER — A union representing hundreds of Metro Vancouver employees has announced an indefinite overtime ban as part of a dispute with the regional district.

VANCOUVER — A union representing hundreds of Metro Vancouver employees has announced an indefinite overtime ban as part of a dispute with the regional district.

Jesse Medeiros, with the Greater Vancouver Regional District Employees’ Union, says in a statement the overtime ban will have the most impact on water and sewer operations and maintenance and construction teams.

The statement says union members will also refuse standby work and not accept assignments outside of their defined job descriptions.

In March, union members voted almost 98 per cent in favour of authorizing job action, and last week issued a 72-hour strike notice with the BC Labour Relations Board.

The union says Metro Vancouver has not addressed issues such as safety, contracting out and recruitment measures, and warns there’s a possibility of escalating job action in the hours ahead.

The district says it has offered more than 10 per cent in general wage increases over three years, and a one-time increase of $0.25 on hourly pay rates next April.

The last deal expired in December 2024 for the union’s 600 members and 150 contract workers, who are involved in operations such as water, sewer and infrastructure services across Metro Vancouver.

The district said in a statement Friday that job action by the union would not affect essential services such as drinking water, wastewater treatment, solid waste management, air quality monitoring, wildfire suppression, and housing.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 24, 2026.

The Canadian Press





Source link

  • Related Posts

    Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

    United States President Donald Trump looks towards Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney as they raise their glasses during a toast at a working dinner in Gyeongju, South Korea on Wednesday,…

    Demolition company sues Lake Okanagan Resort

    An Alberta-based demolition firm seeks $250K in unpaid bills for wildfire cleanup A demolition company based in Alberta has filed a lawsuit against the owners of Lake Okanagan Resort, three…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Hoka Coupon Codes: 30% Off in August 2026

    Hoka Coupon Codes: 30% Off in August 2026

    NFL preseason Week 2 winners, losers: Bo Nix shines, Fernando Mendoza stumbles

    NFL preseason Week 2 winners, losers: Bo Nix shines, Fernando Mendoza stumbles

    5 Times Disney’s Sci-Fi Ambitions Crashed and Burned at the Box Office

    5 Times Disney’s Sci-Fi Ambitions Crashed and Burned at the Box Office

    Canada Gazette – Part I, August 16, 2025, volume 159, number 33

    Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

    Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

    Judge Strikes Down Trump’s 75-Country Visa Ban

    Judge Strikes Down Trump’s 75-Country Visa Ban