World Cup expected to boost Toronto tourism even if hotel bookings haven’t surged


TORONTO — Hotel industry and tourism groups in Toronto are optimistic that FIFA World Cup matches will bring many people to the city and boost the local economy despite a lack of surge in hotel bookings and high ticket prices.

Sara Anghel, president and CEO of the Greater Toronto Hotel Association, said the soccer tournament will definitely have a positive economic impact, even after FIFA cancelled thousands of hotel room bookings in Toronto, Vancouver and other host cities.

“We’ve never had the opportunity to host something of this magnitude,” she said in an interview. “It’s basically six Super Bowls in the city over the span of less than a month.”

Destination Toronto’s vice-president of destination development, Kelly Jackson, said typically hotels are at about 80 per cent capacity in June and July and they expect it will be similar this June.

Toronto is hosting six World Cup games, starting with Canada’s opening match against Bosnia-Herzegovina on June 12.

Jackson said hotels are receiving more individual traveller bookings in June this year compared to the same month last year, which is making up for the decline in group bookings as major conventions and meetings that are usually held in June were moved to May or July.

“We, of course, have all of the energy that’s coming with the six World Cup matches and a massive fan fest,” she said. “It’s going to be an electrifying month here in the city and we’re expecting significant out-of-town visitation.”

Many soccer fans have balked at the exorbitant ticket prices for the matches in Toronto and Vancouver and the cost of accommodation in host cities. After FIFA cancelled thousands of its own hotel reservations across North America as part of an operational adjustment, the American Hotel and Lodging Association cited disappointing bookings in U.S. host cities.

Destination Vancouver has said that June hotel bookings in the city are down 20 per cent this year compared with the same time in 2025, but it remains hopeful hotels will fill up closer to kickoff.

Anghel said Toronto remains an attractive destination with plenty to offer to visitors who are coming for the World Cup, or for other reasons even after the tournament is over.

“And given the geopolitical climate that we’re in right now and some of the issues with the United States, you know, I think that Toronto can become an even better and amazing destination going forward,” she said.

Sixteen cities across Canada, the United States and Mexico will host a combined 104 World Cup games during the expanded 48-team tournament, running June 11 through July 19.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    India Raises Diesel, Gasoline Prices for Third Time in Eight Days

    This month, the Indian government has rushed to introduce measures to contain the fallout from the conflict, as surging oil prices batter the rupee and trigger record foreign outflows from…

    Ugandans rue link to Bundibugyo, the Ebola virus type named after a district of cocoa farmers

    KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) — Boon-dee-BOO-joh. Before it became the somewhat easy-to-mispronounce name of a rare type of Ebola virus, Bundibugyo is a mountainous district in western Uganda that even some…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Australia’s ‘Prettiest Street’ Is Grappling With TikTok and Instagram Fame

    Australia’s ‘Prettiest Street’ Is Grappling With TikTok and Instagram Fame

    Ashley McBryde Exposes Her Life, Grit in New Album

    Ashley McBryde Exposes Her Life, Grit in New Album

    Senators from both parties push Hegseth for action on Ukraine aid

    Senators from both parties push Hegseth for action on Ukraine aid

    India Raises Diesel, Gasoline Prices for Third Time in Eight Days

    Heavy traffic gridlock in southwest Edmonton as construction ramp up: ‘Everyone is frustrated’ – Edmonton

    Heavy traffic gridlock in southwest Edmonton as construction ramp up: ‘Everyone is frustrated’ – Edmonton

    Trump FCC asks public to comment on whether ABC’s The View is a news show

    Trump FCC asks public to comment on whether ABC’s The View is a news show