Here’s why Elon Musk lost his suit against OpenAI


OpenAI was cofounded by Musk and a group of researchers in 2015 as a nonprofit with a mission to develop AI for the benefit of humanity, unconstrained by a need to generate financial returns. Musk donated $38 million to the company during its early days, allegedly on the basis that OpenAI CEO Sam Altman and president Greg Brockman had promised to keep the company a nonprofit committed to the mission.   

Musk brought two claims against OpenAI. First, he argued that Altman and Brockman breached the charitable trust he created through his donations by breaking their promise to keep the company a nonprofit and creating a for-profit subsidiary that ballooned over the years. Second, he argued that Altman and Brockman unjustly enriched themselves at Musk’s expense. He sued OpenAI in 2024. 

Musk asked the court to unwind a 2025 restructuring that converted OpenAI’s for-profit subsidiary into a public benefit corporation and to remove Altman and Brockman from their roles.

OpenAI argued that the time for Musk to sue the company had run out before he brought the case. The statute of limitations on the breach of charitable trust claim is three years, while the statute of limitations on the unjust enrichment claim is two years. This means that Musk should have discovered, or had reason to discover, Altman and Brockman’s alleged breach of charitable trust no earlier than 2021 and their alleged unjust enrichment no earlier than 2022. 

While Musk argued he discovered that Altman and Brockman had broken their promise only in 2022, OpenAI claimed that Musk had reason to think this well before 2021. 

Musk told the jury that he has gone through “three phases” in his beliefs about OpenAI: In phase one, he was “enthusiastically supportive” of the company. In phase two, “I started to lose confidence that they were telling me the truth,” he said. In phase three, “I’m sure they’re looting the nonprofit.” 

Here’s a deeper dive into a timeline of the events as testified in the trial. You can read my dispatches from all three weeks of the trial here and here and here. 

2017: Musk proposes creating a for-profit subsidiary

In 2017, two years after OpenAI was founded, Musk and the other cofounders tried to create a for-profit subsidiary to raise enough capital to build artificial general intelligence—powerful AI that can compete with humans on most cognitive tasks. They fought a bitter power battle over who would get to control the entity. Musk also proposed merging OpenAI with his electric-car company, Tesla. 



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Kin Health raises $9M to build an AI notetaker for patients

    The market for AI notetaking devices has exploded in the U.S., with the category generating over $600 million in revenue last year, according to a Menlo Ventures report. And as…

    Meta Is Reportedly ‘Reassigning’ 7,000 Employees To AI-Focused Roles

    The company is also expected to lay off 8,000 workers this week. Justin Sullivan/Getty Images Meta is not only laying off thousands of workers on Wednesday due to artificial…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    ‘Come in for one minute’: Israeli survivor’s appeal to doubters as 7 October exhibition opens in London | London

    ‘Come in for one minute’: Israeli survivor’s appeal to doubters as 7 October exhibition opens in London | London

    Are consumers cracking under the weight of inflation?

    Are consumers cracking under the weight of inflation?

    Angels’ Zach Neto plays villain to A’s Gem, ends no-hit bid in walk-off fashion

    Angels’ Zach Neto plays villain to A’s Gem, ends no-hit bid in walk-off fashion

    Florence Pugh Is Officially Bulgari’s Newest Ambassador

    Florence Pugh Is Officially Bulgari’s Newest Ambassador

    ‘Huge milestone’ as Libyan militia commander accused of torture to appear at ICC | Libya

    ‘Huge milestone’ as Libyan militia commander accused of torture to appear at ICC | Libya

    NSW police to avoid mental health incidents under UK model after spate of fatal shootings | Australian police and policing

    NSW police to avoid mental health incidents under UK model after spate of fatal shootings | Australian police and policing