Long Island Rail Road strike to end as MTA, unions reach tentative deal



The Long Island Rail Road strike is coming to an end after the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and unions reached a tentative agreement Monday, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul announced. 

“Tonight, the MTA reached a fair deal with the five LIRR unions that delivers raises for workers while protecting riders and taxpayers. I’m pleased to announce that phased LIRR service will resume beginning tomorrow at noon,” Hochul said in a post on X. 

The LIRR, the largest commuter rail in the U.S., serving roughly 250,000 weekday riders, suspended service at midnight Saturday, when workers officially walked off the job.   

The National Mediation Board summoned union leaders and MTA management to a meeting to resume bargaining Sunday evening and both sides picked up the talks Monday. 

“Due to the nature of the negotiations, we cannot discuss the specifics,” a union representative said at a news conference.

The MTA is expected to provide an update on restoring service. Union leaders had previously said it would take days to get trains back up and running, even with a tentative agreement in place.   

Commuters felt the effects of the strike Monday, as many woke up extra early to catch shuttle buses to the New York City subway to get to work. 

LIRR strike shuttle bus service map

This was the first LIRR strike since June 1994, when conductors and maintenance workers walked off after two and a half years without a contract. Then-Gov. Mario Cuomo and his administration had to step in and impose a contract settlement. 

Please stay with CBS News New York for updates on this breaking story. 



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Iran war: Trump’s series of unenforced deadlines

    With the war in Iran now past the 12-week mark, President Donald Trump has threatened for weeks to restart attacks if the country doesn’t reach a deal with the U.S.,…

    Cuba’s president says country poses “no threat” to U.S. after report of island’s alleged military drones

    Washington — Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez insisted Cuba “poses no threat” to the United States and doesn’t have “aggressive plans or intentions against any country,” after Axios reported that…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Footballers’ charity criticised by Charity Commission

    Footballers’ charity criticised by Charity Commission

    Canada sanctions Chinese officials for human rights violations

    Canada sanctions Chinese officials for human rights violations

    Asian shares trade mixed and Kospi falls nearly 4% as oil prices keep swinging

    Asian shares trade mixed and Kospi falls nearly 4% as oil prices keep swinging

    A pet-owner’s guide to a cleaner home: Your top 5 questions, answered – National

    A pet-owner’s guide to a cleaner home: Your top 5 questions, answered – National

    Today’s NYT Mini Crossword Answers for May 19

    Today’s NYT Mini Crossword Answers for May 19

    Justice Department sets up ‘anti-weaponization fund’ after Trump drops IRS lawsuit

    Justice Department sets up ‘anti-weaponization fund’ after Trump drops IRS lawsuit