N.W.T. battles 3 wildfires as season gets underway


Text to Speech Icon

Listen to this article

Estimated 2 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

The government says it is fighting three fires in the Northwest Territories, and it says humans caused two of the fires.  

It says one human-caused wildfire in the South Slave region is under control.

It says the fire measuring about 0.0001 square kilometres, or roughly the size of a large house, began on Monday.

The Environment and Climate Change website describes the blaze as a “camp fire escaped.”

The government says it is also fighting an out-of-control overwintering fire, scorching about 0.05 square kilometres in the South Slave region that began on May 9.

An overwinter fire is one that remains dormant or undetected for a considerable amount of time after it starts.

The government says the overwinter fire was found using infrared scanning along the perimeter of the Fort Providence wildfire last year.

It says firefighters will attack hotspots found by scanning and get rid of the “remaining heat” using heavy equipment.

It says there are no threats to Fort Providence, cabins, or infrastructure.

The government says it is fighting an “out-of-control” 0.001 square kilometre wildfire, the size of a Canadian Football League end zone, in the North Slave region.

It says the wildfire began on Saturday and was human-caused.

Fire officials warned last month that this year could be a challenging year for wildfire season because of ongoing drought in parts of the territory.  



Source link

  • Related Posts

    No ‘tailor-made’ deal for UK if it wants to rejoin bloc, say former EU Brexit officials | European Union

    Britain would not be able to rejoin the EU on the special terms it enjoyed in the past, veterans of the Brexit negotiations have said. The warnings came as senior…

    Third of university students in Great Britain think AI job losses will cause social unrest, poll finds | AI (artificial intelligence)

    One in three university students think AI will wipe out jobs so rapidly it will trigger civil unrest, according to a survey by King’s College London (KCL). Students are among…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Pentagon’s internal watchdog to probe U.S. strikes on alleged drug boats

    Pentagon’s internal watchdog to probe U.S. strikes on alleged drug boats

    County Championship: Worcestershire bat out final day to draw at Lancashire

    County Championship: Worcestershire bat out final day to draw at Lancashire

    The Ageless Way to Style Jelly Sandals in Summer 2026

    The Ageless Way to Style Jelly Sandals in Summer 2026

    'Room to Move' Trailer

    'Room to Move' Trailer

    Cuba’s president says country poses “no threat” to U.S. after report of island’s alleged military drones

    Cuba’s president says country poses “no threat” to U.S. after report of island’s alleged military drones

    ‘It’s heartbreaking’: panic in eastern DRC over return of Ebola | Democratic Republic of the Congo

    ‘It’s heartbreaking’: panic in eastern DRC over return of Ebola | Democratic Republic of the Congo