Experts locate bodies of four missing Italian divers inside Maldives cave | Maldives


Rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days after they were reported missing.

Searches had resumed after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them.

The government of the Indian Ocean island nation confirmed on Monday the bodies were spotted in the innermost part of the cave by three Finnish diving experts, supported by the Maldives police and the military.

“As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part,” said Ahmed Shaam, a Maldives government spokesperson.

He said the four were found “pretty much together”.

“The plan is they will try and recover two bodies tomorrow and possibly the other two the following day,” Shaam said in a voice clip sent to the media.

The body of a fifth Italian, a diving instructor, was found earlier outside the cave. The five were exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 metres (160ft) in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy’s foreign ministry. The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30 metres.

Three Finnish divers, experts in deep and cave diving arrived in the Maldives on Sunday.

The Maldives presidential spokesperson, Mohamed Hussain Shareef, said earlier that the search was suspended after Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldives National Defence Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday.

Rough weather has repeatedly hampered rescue efforts.

Initial teams had already dived to identify and mark the entrance to the cave system where the Italians disappeared. The cause of the deaths remains under investigation.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Boat sets sail from Bristol, aiming to break Israel’s siege of Gaza | Israel-Palestine conflict News

    Twelve people including the captain are on board the vessel named Kate, in the latest attempt to deliver aid. Published On 17 Aug 202617 Aug 2026 Bristol, United Kingdom –…

    Donald Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ of ending Iran war | US-Israel war on Iran

    Donald Trump has again threatened to bomb Oman if it “gets in the way” of his effort to end the US-Israel war on Iran. “If Oman gets in the way,…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Trump family crypto business World Liberty gets preliminary approval to establish a bank

    Key preseason movers to know in Dave Richard’s 2026 Fantasy rankings

    Key preseason movers to know in Dave Richard’s 2026 Fantasy rankings

    SSD price increases might be with us for the long haul, as Phison’s CEO says NAND supply won’t catch up with demand for four years

    SSD price increases might be with us for the long haul, as Phison’s CEO says NAND supply won’t catch up with demand for four years

    The Curator: 12 must-have kitchen products to make meal prep easier – National

    The Curator: 12 must-have kitchen products to make meal prep easier – National

    U.S. citizen teens left behind when ICE deported their parents

    U.S. citizen teens left behind when ICE deported their parents

    WiiM’s capable HomePod-esque smart speaker is almost $50 off

    WiiM’s capable HomePod-esque smart speaker is almost $50 off