US military strike kills three in second alleged drug boat attack this week | US military


The US military launched a strike on an alleged drug smuggling boat in the eastern Pacific on Friday, killing three men in its second strike this week.

“Intelligence confirmed the vessel was transiting along known narco-trafficking routes in the Eastern Pacific and was engaged in narco-trafficking operations,” US Southern Command, which oversees operations in Latin America and the Caribbean, said on Twitter/X.

No US military forces were harmed, according to Southern Command, which is now led by Gen Francis Donovan.

Friday’s strike brought the total number of people killed in US strikes on suspected drug-smuggling boats since September to at least 148. Earlier this week, another US military strike killed 11 people, making it one of the deadliest attacks this year.

A 16-second clip posted by the Southern Command on Friday shows a single strike being launched at the boat, which later burst into flames.

The strike is part of the Trump administration’s buildup of US forces in the region to allegedly intercept drug traffickers.

Just how legal these strikes are has been of rising concern for lawmakers and legal experts, with some arguing that the Pentagon is carrying out extrajudicial killings and exerting “abuse of power with life-or-death consequences”.

“Under both U.S. and international law, it is flagrantly illegal to use the military to kill civilians suspected only of crimes,” reads a December statement by Jeffrey Stein, a staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), and Christopher Anders, director of the Democracy and Technology Division at ACLU. “Civilians, including those suspected of smuggling drugs, are not lawful targets. Just because the Trump administration says these strikes are firmly grounded in law doesn’t make it true.”

Donovan took over the US Southern Command after Adm Alvin Holsey abruptly retired, reportedly over disagreements about the strike policy.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Tumbler Ridge shooter's ChatGPT account was banned months before tragedy, company didn't warn authorities

    The content did not meet the threshold for reporting to law enforcement, according to OpenAI. The company contacted RCMP after the mass shooting. Source link

    Trump keeps carveout under CUSMA in new 10 per cent global tariff – National

    The majority of Canadian exports will remain exempted from Donald Trump’s new 10 per cent global levy, as the U.S. president pivots after the Supreme Court dealt a blow to…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Ranaweera's four-for leads Sri Lanka to tense win over West Indies

    Dayna Ziegler Joins Macy’s From Saks Global

    Dayna Ziegler Joins Macy’s From Saks Global

    Tumbler Ridge shooter's ChatGPT account was banned months before tragedy, company didn't warn authorities

    Tumbler Ridge shooter's ChatGPT account was banned months before tragedy, company didn't warn authorities

    Anthropic-funded group backs candidate attacked by rival AI super PAC

    Anthropic-funded group backs candidate attacked by rival AI super PAC

    OpenAI considered alerting Canadian police about school shooting suspect months ago | Tumbler Ridge school shooting

    OpenAI considered alerting Canadian police about school shooting suspect months ago | Tumbler Ridge school shooting

    WATCH: Supreme Court invalidates most of Trump's tariffs in major ruling

    WATCH:  Supreme Court invalidates most of Trump's tariffs in major ruling