Trump’s border czar confirms ‘small’ security force will remain in Minnesota – National


White House border czar Tom Homan said Sunday that more than 1,000 immigration agents have left Minnesota’s Twin Cities area and hundreds more will depart in the days ahead as part of the Trump administration’s drawdown of its immigration enforcement surge.

A “small” security force will stay for a short period to protect remaining immigration agents and will respond “when our agents are out and they get surrounded by agitators and things got out of control,” Homan told CBS’ Face the Nation. He did not define “small.”

He also said agents will keep investigating fraud allegations as well as the anti-immigration enforcement protest that disrupted a service at a church service.

“We already removed well over 1,000 people, and as of Monday, Tuesday, we’ll remove several hundred more,” Homan said. “We’ll get back to the original footprint.”

Story continues below advertisement

Thousands of officers were sent to the Minneapolis and St. Paul area for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s “Operation Metro Surge.” The Department of Homeland Security said it was its largest immigration enforcement operation ever and proved successful. But the crackdown came under increasing criticism as the situation grew more volatile and two U.S. citizens were killed.

Protests became common. A network of residents worked to help immigrants, warn of approaching agents or film immigration officers’ actions. The shooting deaths of Renee Good and Alex Pretti by federal officers drew condemnation and raised questions over officers’ conduct, prompting changes to the operation.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Homan announced last week that 700 federal officers would leave Minnesota immediately, but that still left more than 2,000 in the state. He said Thursday that a “significant drawdown” was already underway and would continue through this week.

Story continues below advertisement

Homan said enforcement would not stop in the Twin Cities and that mass deportations will continue across the country. Officers leaving Minnesota will report back to their stations or be assigned elsewhere.

When asked if future deployments could match the scale of the Twin Cities operation, Homan said “it depends on the situation.”


&copy 2026 The Canadian Press



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Car dealers seek reimbursement for EVs sold under old rebate program as new one launches today

    Listen to this article Estimated 4 minutes The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review…

    Starmer vows to fast-track social media law but says under-16s ban not definite | Social media ban

    Keir Starmer has pledged action on young people’s access to social media in “months, not years”, while saying this did not necessarily mean a complete ban on access for under-16s.…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Car dealers seek reimbursement for EVs sold under old rebate program as new one launches today

    Car dealers seek reimbursement for EVs sold under old rebate program as new one launches today

    Barack Obama Clarifies Aliens Are ‘Real’ Comment After It Blows Up Online, Insists He Saw ‘No Evidence’ Extraterrestrials Have Made Contact While U.S. President

    Barack Obama Clarifies Aliens Are ‘Real’ Comment After It Blows Up Online, Insists He Saw ‘No Evidence’ Extraterrestrials Have Made Contact While U.S. President

    US carmakers spooked by Chinese rivals gaining foothold in America

    US carmakers spooked by Chinese rivals gaining foothold in America

    Air traffic controllers brace for FIFA

    Air traffic controllers brace for FIFA

    Married couple share same cancer diagnosis

    Married couple share same cancer diagnosis

    Pathirana under injury cloud as he leaves the field early