Overdoses tripled at Saskatoon supervised consumption site in 2025 – Saskatoon


Saskatoon’s only supervised consumption site, Prairie Harm Reduction (PHR), reports that it treated triple the number of overdoses in 2025 compared to 2024.

PHR says it has also supported 22 per cent more people over the past year and successfully performed more than 150 interventions.

The clinic says its stats are telling of the toxic drug crisis in the city.

“With 150-plus overdoses reversed in the last year through our onsite paramedics and drug testing, we are a vital partner in community safety,” PHR executive director Kayla Demong said.


Click to play video: 'Prairie Harm Reduction calls government response to overdose crisis ‘inadequate’'


Prairie Harm Reduction calls government response to overdose crisis ‘inadequate’


In November, Saskatoon Fire Deputy Chief Rob Hogan said he has seen more than 2,100 overdoses this year — close to double what he saw all of last year at 1,200.

Story continues below advertisement

Many of those on the front line, including Demong and Hogan, have credited naloxone with helping prevent the increased number of overdoses from turning fatal.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Since November, there have been two toxic drug alerts in Saskatoon for a veterinarian sedative, medetomidine, that is not reactive to naloxone.

Prairie Harm Reduction paramedic Stacia Robinson says many users are unaware of the medetomidine in the drugs they buy, causing regular users of fentanyl who have not built up a tolerance to overdose.

“These people end up being unsuspected victims of un-regulated drugs supply,” said Robinson.

On Thursday, Brad Redekopp, MP for Saskatoon West, is hosting a community engagement meeting to discuss the impacts of the supervised consumption site to community safety.

“We believe a complete understanding of the site’s impact requires looking at the data,” says Kayla DeMong, executive director at Prairie Harm Reduction.

“We welcome the opportunity to share this data with the public and media.”

Demong says PHR was not notified of the meeting or invited to participate.


&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Steven Dubois’s golden gamble biggest payoff for Canada on historic night at short track

    Chris Jones reports from Milan. Steven Dubois crossed the finish line with his mouth and his arms competing over which could open wider. He had just won gold in the…

    Home Office age assessment scheme endangers child refugees and must be scrapped, NGOs say | Immigration and asylum

    A coalition of refugee support groups has called for a Home Office organisation to be axed, claiming it is putting hundreds of children at risk. The Refugee and Migrant Children’s…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    The Killing Stone combines occult contract law with card-battling in an isolated 17th century mansion

    The Killing Stone combines occult contract law with card-battling in an isolated 17th century mansion

    Minister Anand concludes successful visit to Finland to strengthen partnerships between Canada and Nordic countries

    Apollo says CEO Rowan had no business or personal relationship with Epstein

    Apollo says CEO Rowan had no business or personal relationship with Epstein

    Steven Dubois’s golden gamble biggest payoff for Canada on historic night at short track

    Steven Dubois’s golden gamble biggest payoff for Canada on historic night at short track

    Mike Wagner, a key part of Pittsburgh’s famed ‘Steel Curtain’ defense, dies at 76

    Mike Wagner, a key part of Pittsburgh’s famed ‘Steel Curtain’ defense, dies at 76

    Why ANA Chose Tokyo Over Alaska

    Why ANA Chose Tokyo Over Alaska