Once at risk of demolition, this Ontario WW II site will now be restored


Text to Speech Icon

Listen to this article

Estimated 3 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

A historic Second World War site in Bowmanville, Ont., is now safe from demolition, but the cost and responsibility of restoring it is now on the shoulders of the non-profit organization that’s fought to save it for months. 

The Jury Lands Foundation (JLF), a volunteer group that has sought to preserve the former Camp 30 site, was given unanimous support by municipal councillors this week to restore a cafeteria building within the camp that was at risk of being demolished.

Marilyn Morawetz, board chair for the JLF, presented the group’s case to councillors on Monday, making it responsible for fundraising to complete the project. 

In an interview with CBC News, Morawetz described having “positive” discussions with councillors in recent weeks, but it still came as quite a shock to her to be given unanimous approval.

“That meant a lot to us, and we plan not to disappoint,” Morawetz said. 

Case made to preserve building

The site served as a reform school for boys when it first opened in the 1920s. During the Second World War, it was converted to house German prisoners of war. 

It closed in 2008 and has been left to deteriorate over time. Since 2022, the cafeteria has been the only municipally owned heritage building on the land, with councillors troubled over how to finance its restoration.

Last fall, the JLF was granted time to assess the feasibility of restoring the building with the help of a builder, Manorville Homes, which specializes in restoration projects.

A rejuvination garden has been created by the Jury Lands Foundation near the cafeteria at Camp 30, in order to show the land can be a valuable community resource.
The JLF and Manorville Homes said the derelict structure looked worse than it actually is, suggesting restoring it won’t be as difficult as councillors were previously led to believe. (Hugo Levesque/CBC)

In their delegation, the JLF and Manorville Homes disputed a previously quoted cost of $4.5 million that councillors received to stabilize the building, suggesting it could be done for half the price. 

This week, Morawetz told councillors it would cost $2.6 million to complete phase one of the restoration, of which the JLF has already raised $1 million through a federal grant. 

“It is enough money for us to start the process,” Morawetz added. “It gives us time to start working on the dollar figures for other various steps.”

‘It looks a lot worse than it is’

JJ Maclellan, a senior project manager for Manorville Homes, said the state of the building is “pretty typical” compared to other restoration projects it has completed, such as the Belmont House in nearby Newcastle, Ont., a 200-year-old building that the company finished restoring last summer.

“I’m not going to sugarcoat it, but it looks a lot worse than it is,” Maclellan told CBC News. 

Maclellan said Manorville Homes will remove hazardous material inside, restructure the roof and stabilize the shell of the building in the first phase of restoration. 

After the remaining $1.6 million can be raised, he said it will take about a year to complete phase one. 

Clarington councillors have given the JLF until the end of this year to raise that money.

Municipal staff will also work alongside Manorville Homes to oversee the project.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Olympic heartbreak in Milan, but plenty of pride for Canada

    State AlabamaAlaskaArizonaArkansasCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaOhioOklahomaOregonPennsylvaniaRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWashington D.C.West VirginiaWisconsinWyomingPuerto RicoUS Virgin IslandsArmed Forces AmericasArmed Forces PacificArmed Forces EuropeNorthern Mariana IslandsMarshall IslandsAmerican SamoaFederated States of MicronesiaGuamPalauAlberta, CanadaBritish…

    OpenAI did not disclose Tumbler Ridge shooter's activity despite meeting with B.C. government day after shooting: province

    Tumbler Ridge accused shooter Jesse Van Rootselaar’s ChatGPT account was banned last June, eight months before the B.C. mass shooting. Source link

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Supreme Court Rules Most of Donald Trump’s Tariffs Are Illegal

    Supreme Court Rules Most of Donald Trump’s Tariffs Are Illegal

    Most Americans disapprove of Trump on issues; Americans don’t trust Dems in Congress more to handle problems: Poll

    Most Americans disapprove of Trump on issues; Americans don’t trust Dems in Congress more to handle problems: Poll

    Nintendo announces surprise Switch 2 version of sci-fi RPG Xenoblade Chronicles X: Definitive Edition

    Nintendo announces surprise Switch 2 version of sci-fi RPG Xenoblade Chronicles X: Definitive Edition

    Match of the Day analysis: Watkins has to respond to pressure of Abraham’s arrival at Villa – Rooney

    Match of the Day analysis: Watkins has to respond to pressure of Abraham’s arrival at Villa – Rooney

    Trump to raise US global tariff from 10 to 15% after Supreme Court ruling | Donald Trump News

    Trump to raise US global tariff from 10 to 15% after Supreme Court ruling | Donald Trump News

    ‘No Tolerance for Bad AI’: New Xbox Boss Responds to Concerns Around Her Microsoft Background

    ‘No Tolerance for Bad AI’: New Xbox Boss Responds to Concerns Around Her Microsoft Background