Neymar: Brazil striker considering retiring at end of year


Brazil striker Neymar says he is considering retiring at the end of the year.

The 34-year-old – whose £200m move from Barcelona to Paris St-Germain in 2017 remains the highest fee paid for a player – has been blighted by injuries in recent seasons.

But he hopes to play in the World Cup for his country this summer.

Neymar rejoined his boyhood club Santos from Saudi club Al-Hilal in January 2025 and extended his contract until the end of 2026.

However after an injury-hampered first year he then missed the start of the Brazilian season in January following knee surgery in late December, and only returned to action last week.

“I don’t know what will happen from now on, I don’t know about next year,” he told Brazilian online channel Caze.

“It may be that when December comes, I’ll want to retire. I’m living year to year now.”

Neymar is the all-time leading scorer for Brazil, with 79 goals – two more than the legendary Pele.

However he last featured for the national team in October 2023 and admitted it was a “huge challenge” to force his way into Carlo Ancelotti’s World Cup squad.

“This year is a very important year, not only for Santos, but also for the Brazilian national team, as it’s a World Cup year, and for me too,” he added.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Zampa: 'Probably the worst-feeling four-for I've ever got'

    ‘I think the last three days for me [have been about] reflecting on how the last three [T20] World Cups have gone’ Source link

    NBA DFS picks, Friday lineup advice from daily Fantasy professional who’s won $2 million

    Friday’s NBA schedule contains nine games with the action beginning at 7 p.m. ET with the last tip set for 10 p.m. ET. There are a number of high quality…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Ubisoft CEO confirms new Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry games are coming, denies that putting his son in charge of them was nepotism

    Ubisoft CEO confirms new Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry games are coming, denies that putting his son in charge of them was nepotism

    Bench Presses, Pull Ups … Kid Rock? The White House Had a Very Manly Week.

    Inscope Raises $14.5M Series A to Replace Manual Financial Statement Preparation for Accounting Firms and Enterprises

    Suspect arrested after Caltech scientist fatally shot at his home outside LA | US universities

    Suspect arrested after Caltech scientist fatally shot at his home outside LA | US universities

    Christopher S. Wren, Times Bureau Chief in Hostile Lands, Dies at 89

    Lobby Wrap: Terrestar wants to talk about replacing the need for foreign satellite technology

    Lobby Wrap: Terrestar wants to talk about replacing the need for foreign satellite technology